Am I being monitored???

Rabi 22:33 27 Dec 2003

I have noticed when I use my desktop to access my Yahoo Account, that every time, without exception, when I eneter my password, Yahoo asks me to re-enter as the password is incorrect.

This phenomenon is only when I use my Desktop pc. It doesn't occur when I use my lasptop, nor indeed when I use an internet cafe.

I also notice that, using the same broadband connection, my laptop is much faster than my desktop again when using Mail at Yahoo. I also occasssionally, (quite infrequently actually, but it does happen) notice my curser move when I am on line with no input from me. I recently upgraded my desktop memory from 128mb to 384mb, speed has not improved one bit.

Do I have spyware or some other control programme hiding on my PC?

I have Ad-aware 6.0, and SpyBots Search & Destroy, latest versions of both, on my desktop and laptop, and they have both been used to remove everything they could find, and currenly give me a clean bill of health.

PurplePenny 23:28 27 Dec 2003

Do you have the same browser on laptop and desktop? I've been getting the same thing recently but I think that I have worked out why it is happening to me. On my desktop I'm using Opera 7.23 and on the laptop Firebird. I use the Opera wand to fill in my password and it seems as though it automatically sends it (I'm sure that it didn't before) so if I click on OK or enter (or whatever the Yahoo button is called) it sends it twice and I get "password incorrect".

Don't know if that helps you at all but at least you know that you are not alone :-)

Penny

canard 14:08 28 Dec 2003

My Yahoo password has had these bouts of perversity for ages [using IE].

Rabi 22:26 30 Dec 2003

1) I am using the same browser on all three (laptop & 2 desktops)

2) Please note:this password phenomenon exists ONLY,and EVERY time I log into my Yahoo account using one of the desktop's, very rarely with the other two. One of the desktops ALWAYS gives me an "invalid password" response, till I retype a second time, and bingo, it goes through. I never get this at internet cafes, hence my wonder if my desktop has a virus/trojan/spyware onit?

Rennaissance 22:31 30 Dec 2003

have you got any firewalls running? also run a virus scan. If you have no antivirus software then run an online check.

Rabi 22:53 30 Dec 2003

In addition to Ad-Aware 6.0, and SpyBots Search & Destroy, I have Zone Alarm Pro 4.0 running as my firewall, and Norton Antivirus 2003 (with the latest definitions) running. And again, these are common to all the PC's mentioned above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?