am I asking the impossible

peaklander 12:20 17 May 2008

My photocopier has died.

I have a HP4600dn laserjet colour network printer and an HP 1120c stand alone printer.
Is it possible to buy a scanner that I could plug directly into one of the printers and copy direct from the scanner bypassing the pc or network?

I want to avoid having to boot the computer up just to copy a single document. I suppose I am looking for a scanner with a built in printer driver- probably asking the impossible?

Sea Urchin 17:54 17 May 2008

You can of course buy multi-function printer/scanner/copiers - where you can use the stand-alone copier without using the PC. But you are seeking to use a scan direct to a printer, and as far as I know you can only print when the computer is booted up. So I think the answer to your question is probably - yes you are.

Somebody will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

Technotiger 18:29 17 May 2008

A multi-function will scan and print without even being connected to a computer - I keep a spare one just for when I want to do copy a single document or picture.

Sea Urchin 18:36 17 May 2008

Hi Technotiger - yes, that's what I was trying to say. But peaklander wishes to buy a separate scanner, and output the image via the existing printer without being connected to the PC.

Technotiger 18:46 17 May 2008

Yes, but buying a used multi-function would probably be cheaper that buying a scanner, and would do what peaklander wants, without a computer.

Technotiger 18:49 17 May 2008

and as far as I know you can only print when the computer is booted up. .......... wrong. A multi-function will scan and print as much as you want without even being connected to a computer.

peaklander 19:40 17 May 2008

Thanks for your help.
Yes whilst a multi function would do the business- I was hoping to be able to use the laser printer and avoid the need for yet another set of different inkjet cartridges.
oh well C'est La Vie!

Sea Urchin 20:02 17 May 2008

and as far as I know you can only print when the computer is booted up. .......... wrong.

You have AGAIN misquoted me - I was speaking of a normal printer - NOT a multifunction, and I made it quite clear that the multi-function COULD do what you say.

I could of course have suggested at the beginning that peaklander buy a multifunction printer, but that was not the question being asked.

Technotiger 20:06 17 May 2008

Fair 'nuf, or as peaklander C'est La Vie!

Sea Urchin 20:28 17 May 2008

No hard feelings - in fact I greatly respect your wide-ranging knowledge on many PC subjects on this forum

Technotiger 20:31 17 May 2008

Of course there's no hard feelings, I respect everyone's ideas and inputs - I am just one of many - and I certainly don't, always get it right!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?