Am I an Adobe missing?

Muergo 21:54 03 Feb 2011

I have downloaded Adobe reader 10, are there any other downloads I should have on my new PC for reading PDF files.

My friend has sent me a PDF .doc file which won't open straight from Windows live mail.

I never had any trouble with OExpress.

northumbria61 22:34 03 Feb 2011

I don't use Windows Mail but it could either could be a problem within WM or down to a File Association. Make sure that that Adobe Reader is associated with .pdf in your File Association List.
You should be able to go to Control Panel - Programs & Features - select your Adobe Reader - select "change" and do a repair - don't know if this will make any difference but may be worth a try.

Foxit Reader is an alternative to Adobe - click here

Sea Urchin 23:55 03 Feb 2011

It must either be a .doc file or a .pdf file

If the first it will open with Word and if .pdf then with Adobe Reader.

I assume it has been sent to you as an attachment. Try right-clicking the attachment and save it to the desktop. Then right-click that saved file and select Open With. At the bottom of the menu go to Choose and then select the appropriate program as above. Tick the box beside "Always Use This program to open this type of file" and click OK.

Then try opening the attachment from the mail.

Muergo 20:17 07 Feb 2011

I asked my friend to send again in pdf and it worked a treat, didn't even need to open it from Windows Live mail, it was just sitting there unless it auto uses Adobe.

Looking in file associations (W7) it says there that doc. files are opened by Adobe Reader by default, I wonder why it didn't work.

I don't seem to have Word, only Wordpad.

Can I download it for free or do I have to pay for it, I haven't used Word for over 15 years and then only for wordprocessing at work.( many years ago)and then my PA did most of that!

sunnystaines 20:28 07 Feb 2011

you need to get ms office for word, ms office student & home edition is the cheapest.

example
click here

Sea Urchin 20:34 07 Feb 2011

You can download Word Viewer free which will allow you to open Word files

click here

Ford Prefect 01 20:34 07 Feb 2011

If you have children, grandchildren nieces or nephews in education, try here

click here

Muergo 20:37 07 Feb 2011

If I've done without Word all this time I don't see need to buy it.

What interested me was that Adobe ReaderX which has installed itself as default reader for doc. doesn't open it, I didn't put it in there, it just went in when I downloaded the program.

Muergo 20:47 07 Feb 2011

Thanks to all, I have done as sea urchin suggested and installed the Word reader, that should fix my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?