am I an administrator?!

fbadt 18:04 04 Oct 2009

Hey there, I have Vista but I don't seem to have admin rights or special permissions for folders while the system does, should I have this access? I am the only person who logs into this system, and its been mine since I took it out of the box. I keep finding out there's hidden folders I can't access and quite often I'll move a folder (even one I've created on the desktop to put photos or music infor example) and when I try to move it, the system says I don't have the rights? what I am doing wrong?
thanks for any help
fbt

VoG II 18:21 04 Oct 2009

This may help click here

fbadt 18:32 04 Oct 2009

thanks, but I don't even have "Local User and Groups" listed under that computer management folder, just goes from shared to reliability, how locked down is my pc?!
thanks

Sea Urchin 19:06 04 Oct 2009

If you are using Vista Home (Basic or Premium) then Local User and Groups is not available - has to be Vista Business.

You can enable the Admin account by using a Command prompt - type in

net user administrator /active:yes (note spaces)

and that should do the trick.

A bit of background here:

click here

fbadt 19:22 04 Oct 2009

darn it, tried and I get 'access denied' in the comm prompt? thanks for the help so far!

rdave13 19:52 04 Oct 2009

Try turning off UAC first; click here
Enable the admin account so that you can change your own account to admin status; click here
If successful disable the admin account.

fbadt 21:50 04 Oct 2009

Unless I'm doing something stupid that's not working either, I have created the admin accoutn and went to the user accounts, highlighted mine but when i check 'admin' it greys out the confirm button?

Sea Urchin 22:12 04 Oct 2009

You may need to do it in safe mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?