am i able to put R.C w7 on h.d+use it ok?

buel 08:25 27 May 2009

hi, my brother has bought a pc from an auction and the h.d was wiped clean, am i able to install the release candidate of w7 on it please? and will it work like a normal o.s?

rawprawn 08:28 27 May 2009

Yes if the machines specification is good enough.
1 GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, 128MB of DX9 supporting graphics and at least 16GB drive space.

rawprawn 08:30 27 May 2009

Not forgetting a CD Drive and an Internet connection (to download the RC1 and get updates)

Belatucadrus 10:45 27 May 2009

There is a Microsoft update advisor click here but it's a Windows program, so you'd need an OS to run it. Also note that the Windows 7 release candidate is time limited and will stop working on June 1st 2010.

gazzaho 11:32 27 May 2009

You will also need an ISO creator to create the DVD disk from the downloaded file if you don't have Nero or something similar installed.

buel 11:53 27 May 2009

Thank you for your great answers! please dont take the mick out of me but im a bit sceptical- surely this form of w7 must have limitations apart from stopping working after june 2010? ps-wont drivers for certain pcs be hard/impossible to find?

rawprawn 12:02 27 May 2009

Try it, you may well be pleasantly suprised.

gazzaho 08:29 28 May 2009

"ps-wont drivers for certain pcs be hard/impossible to find?"

That's the whole point.

The reason for beta release code is for the general public to test the operating system under widespread use. Developers can then sort problems regarding hardware/software compatability before the product goes on general release, by doing this they get free user testing and a lot less headaches troubleshooting problems after the product goes to market.

OTT_Buzzard 09:16 28 May 2009

in most, but not all, cases Vista drivers will work in W7.

buel 21:38 31 May 2009

Hi, im half way through installing W7 (with the iso dvd) on an already wiped h.d, unfortunately im getting the message 'Load driver- no device drivers were found. Make sure that the media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok'.
How can i do this please? I was under the impression that the drivers would be on the iso dvd?

buel 22:34 31 May 2009

Hi, im half way through installing W7 (with the iso dvd) on an already wiped h.d, unfortunately im getting the message 'Load driver- no device drivers were found. Make sure that the media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok'.
How can i do this please? I was under the impression that the drivers would be on the iso dvd?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone