Alternatives to Norton Internet Security?

Blitzer 15:26 08 Feb 2006

Hi,

The above is up for renewal and having two PC's to keep protected I'm not so keen on shelling out another £50 for another copy of NIS 2006. I've noticed that simply subscribing to another years virus definitions etc. has also become rather expensive.

Anyway, to get to the point I'm now on the market for an alternative solution to Norton. Don't mind paying so I'm not necessarily after free stuff, but do want and all-in-one solution, i.e. anti-virus & firewall.

Only really had experience of Norton and years ago McAfee (went off McAfee for various reasons). But have seen & heard of ZoneAlarm which seems to get good reviews.

So anyway - what suggestions can you give me for an all-in-one solution for internet security?

Thanks in advance. :)

pj123 15:39 08 Feb 2006

I think you should forget NORTON and go for:

AVG. Adaware. Spybot. Spywareblaster and Zonealarm.

All free.

rawprawn 15:40 08 Feb 2006

click here Brilliant, easy to manage updates automatically every hour, nothing has got in since I loaded it. It covers Virus, Spyware protection, Internet Shield, Parental Control, and Spam.Try it first for 30 days, also if you are a Barclays online customer you can get a 30% discount.

skidzy 15:42 08 Feb 2006

Hi Blitzer...I run AVG and Zonealarm and have had no problems to date,im sure you will find a lot on here run the same set up,maybe Avast AV with zonealarm as this also works well together,always run Spybot and Ad-aware and Ewido weekly.Just having these will keep you secure and safe.Then you might think to add a registry cleaner and optimizer..for example,Registry Mecahnic,or Winaso...These are the few progams i run to good effect.Im not an expert like some on here,but most of my programs come from the experts advice.
Good luck Blitzer

Diemmess 15:50 08 Feb 2006

Download all 4 but do NOT install until offline.

Please make absolutely sure you are clear of all traces of Norton, before you install the new programs.

Once installed you can go back online.

Zone Alarm Free (not the Professional version for which you have to pay), is a bit of a pain initially, because it views everything with a degree of suspicion, but if you follow the prompts it soon gets the idea of what to allow and seldom stops anything except entirely new programs.

Diemmess 15:51 08 Feb 2006

Download all 4 but do NOT install until offline.

Please make absolutely sure you are clear of all traces of Norton, before you install the new programs.

Once installed you can go back online.

Zone Alarm Free (not the Professional version for which you have to pay), is a bit of a pain initially, because it views everything with a degree of suspicion, but if you follow the prompts it soon gets the idea of what to allow and seldom stops anything except entirely new programs.

Belatucadrus 15:53 08 Feb 2006

click here for PCPro reviews on the package deals.
As with many people here I can't see the point in a home user paying for security and I don't like integrated security suites anyway, I prefer my security software to be modular as it reduces the chance that an attack on one will affect another.
My choice of freebies would be avast! anti virus, Sunbelt Kerio firewall and an assortment of anti spy freeware click here .

anskyber 16:14 08 Feb 2006

Got Zone Alarm Security Suite vers 6. Its brilliant and easy to use.

Belatucadrus 21:02 08 Feb 2006

click here for a Microsoft/eTrust special offer if you're still intent on paying for a package.

lester1 22:34 08 Feb 2006

I use 2 pc's they both use Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot, Adaware,a2 and Spyware Blaster. The newer XP one is also running Ewido,and Microsoft Antispyware. Neither machines have ever been compromised. Just remember to up-date regularly and scanat least once a week.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?