Alternatives to Carbonite

bristolgirl 08:14 25 Apr 2010

Hi
Hope that you can all help me again!

It's time for me to renew my Carbonite subscription. I like the fact that it backs up my computer without me having to do anything, once I am past the initial set-up of course.
I know that there are alternatives but am looking for something that is cheaper (or maybe even free) that just runs in the background too.
Been thinking about IDrive but I don't know anything about it and was wondering if anybody uses it and/or if it is any good?
Other suggestions are equally welcomed.

Many thanks in advance!

Technotiger 09:35 25 Apr 2010

Personally I use Acronis, but maybe something here to your liking, though I have not used any of them ...

click here

gengiscant 10:57 25 Apr 2010

I use the free edition of Dropbox as it works with my iphone.Excellent bit of software.

bristolgirl 12:05 25 Apr 2010

Thank you Technotiger. Acronis looks good and seems a little cheaper than Carbonite. (Although I have 1 extra month free if I renew with Carbonite now).

Thank you for the link too. I will have a good look at them.

Many thanks for your reply too gengiscant. Do you know if Dropbox is quite easy to use? Also, does it backup automatically? I want to use this backup for my laptop.

gengiscant 13:30 25 Apr 2010

It must be easy to use as I can use it,LOL.Really it is very simple, here is a link, click here and yes any folder in your dropbox folder is automatically backed up each time you change it.

bristolgirl 14:08 25 Apr 2010

Thanks again gengiscant.

I will have a look at it.

I am guessing that it is probably a good idea if I disable my carbonite backup before installing it? One won't cause problems for the other will it?

gengiscant 15:28 25 Apr 2010

I very much doubt it. No reason why you cannot have 2 backup systems.

bristolgirl 20:42 25 Apr 2010

Thank you again gengiscant!

I will give it a go next week now. I have to go away urgently.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017