Alternative to WMP11

bruno 13:54 30 Jul 2009

I have had trouble recently downloading album information from the web. I have found a mountain of confusing information on how to cure it and have tried quite a few with no luck. Can someone tell me a good alternative programme or possibly a cure for my problem. I am on XP home.

Stuartli 14:06 30 Jul 2009

If you play a CD in WMP11, go to Library and right click on the illustration of the album .

A short menu will appear, including Find Album Information and choosing this option will bring up a panel. You can Search for the album information or follow up what is listed by highlighting it>Next button and following the instructions.

bruno 14:31 30 Jul 2009

Thanks for the quick response. This is the method I have used successfully for years, but it has stopped working for some reason and tells me it can not connect to the site and gives a message "redir.metaservices.microsoft.com", which leads nowhere.
I have tried closing down firewalls etc. but to no avail.

bruno 14:32 30 Jul 2009

I should have said in my first post I am using WMP11.

peter99co 16:24 30 Jul 2009

My first thought was you should uninstall and reinstall a fresh download.(of WMP11)

Nightowl4933 16:29 30 Jul 2009

I wonder if this is a result of WMP's online store not being run by Nokia any more?

Pete

bruno 17:05 30 Jul 2009

I will try reinstalling and see what happens.
I don't know about the Nokia thing, though.
I Googled for a solution and a lot of people seem to have the same problem.

bruno 17:27 30 Jul 2009

I tried to uninstall WMP11, but it only rolls back to the previously installed one, which in my case was WMP10. However this has cured the problem so I will leave it as it is. Thank you all for your help.

Stuartli 18:23 30 Jul 2009

Yes, you can only roll back to the previous version.

However, you could perhaps now try Reinstalling WMP11 with a fresh download from the Microsoft website and see if it has brought a cure.

You can always roll back again...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?