Alternative to Windows Live Mail?

Legslip 21:39 25 May 2009

I have a hotmail account that I access via Windowsw Live Mail but I hate it. Is there an email programme that is like Outlook/Express that will receive/send hotmails. Does Firefox do it?

Sea Urchin 22:01 25 May 2009

Windows Live Mail operates in the same way as OE - what do you not like about it? Oh, and Firefox is a browser - not an email client. But Mozilla Thunderbird might work for you.

Legslip 22:07 25 May 2009

Thanks Sea Urchin. Must be me but I do not like the layout of 'live'. Sorry getting late, I meant Thunderbird not Firefox. Do we know that Thunderbird WILL work with Hotmail.

Sea Urchin 22:40 25 May 2009

Should be no problem following this link - it's specified as for Windows Mail but should work equally well on Thunderbird

click here

Sea Urchin 22:42 25 May 2009

In fact it's for OE but the same applies

provider 2 23:10 25 May 2009

You might want to have a look at GMX Mail: click here

Legslip 23:13 25 May 2009

I thought that you can no longer download Hotmail into Outlook Express?

Sea Urchin 23:16 25 May 2009

The introduction of POP and SMTP settings for Hotmail mean you can again - that's the way I use it.

In fact Thunderbird might be more difficult to set up, but I can confirm that it works well in Outlook Express

Quiet Life 17:45 26 May 2009

Like you I hated Windows Live mail as I could not configure it as I had configured OE.
Thunderbird can be configured very nearly ae OE and works well

hssutton 18:32 26 May 2009

I also dumped "Live Mail" replaced it with "Windows Mail"

Legslip 15:09 27 May 2009

Thanks one 'n all. Have got the hotmail account working nicely in Thunderbird. Great!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?