Alternative way of backing up?

m800afc 15:34 02 Dec 2008

Win XP Pro: SP3

I wish to backup my data. I have two USB2 drives, each containing nothing but data. There are no system files or applications. I have 400Gb of data, in total, nearly all Mp3 files. Rather than use Acronis or Paragon, I was thinking of simply copying the files across to my backup drive.

1: Is this a practical way of backing up my Mp3 files?

2: If I start to do this, and then switch user, will the copy procedure continue, or will it be stopped or corrupted in some way, by switching?

3: Having copied all my Mp3 files to the backup drive, if I subsequently wish to do a second backup, will the dialog box open saying "Files already exist do you wish to replace them?" (or similar). If I click "No to all", will only the new files be copied, effectively creating an incremental/differential style backup, with both old and new files being in the correct folders within the backup? Space is not a problem as I have a 1Tb backup drive.

Rahere 15:43 02 Dec 2008

Not sure if the transfer will continue if you log out - one to try with a couple of files only perhaps?

I would set up a different back up routine for each task. I use a very simple backup program called replicator click here which allows me to create a number of backup tasks, it allows you to set the run frequency whether to compare files/replace/create separate backups etc. If you like this you can drag a shortcut into your startup folder and have load at boot so it runs on the dates you set.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie