Alternative to system restore and XP reformat

VNAM75 14:19 12 Jan 2010

I need to reinstall XP with a full reformat of the HD because of problems with my anti virus and IE7 and firefox not working. I have tried system restore, using several of the restore points but it never works. It doesn't respond when I click next. Are there any good free alternatives to system restore? I find reformatting to be very time consuming so I want to avoid doing it again.

What is the easiest way to install XP service pack 3? Should I install it direct from the website or download it first and run it from my hard drive? I had a problem last time and can't remember which one it was.

BRYNIT 14:41 12 Jan 2010

You could slipstream it with Windows XP using nLite. Some instructions on using nLite click here

Once you have your computer as you want it I would suggest using something like.

Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 click here

or

Easeuse Todo backup click here

Both free. This will allowing you to create a backup of your hard drive with most updates saving you time if you need to do another restore.

T I M B O 14:45 12 Jan 2010

Do you get web pages to load and can you download?

If not, then reste IE7 & delete personnel settings. If you can be a bit more precise then maybe a format would not be required. Also the version of xp maybe on a hidden partition, so dod this pc come with restore disk's or did you burn them yourself or is the pc home made?

rawprawn 14:52 12 Jan 2010

Comodo Time Machine click here
See my comments on this thread click here

VNAM75 15:21 12 Jan 2010

Thanks for the help. The Paragon and Comodo software are just what I need.

I'm getting an IE needs to close error message every 30 seconds even though I'm running Chrome - very annoying. Firefox doesn't even open. Plus my antivirus is not running in the background only works if used manually to scan files. Same problem even if I change anti virus software. So there's definitely something wrong and system restore doesn't work. It never has for me - pretty useless in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache