Alternative to system restore and XP reformat

VNAM75 14:19 12 Jan 2010

I need to reinstall XP with a full reformat of the HD because of problems with my anti virus and IE7 and firefox not working. I have tried system restore, using several of the restore points but it never works. It doesn't respond when I click next. Are there any good free alternatives to system restore? I find reformatting to be very time consuming so I want to avoid doing it again.

What is the easiest way to install XP service pack 3? Should I install it direct from the website or download it first and run it from my hard drive? I had a problem last time and can't remember which one it was.

BRYNIT 14:41 12 Jan 2010

You could slipstream it with Windows XP using nLite. Some instructions on using nLite click here

Once you have your computer as you want it I would suggest using something like.

Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 click here

or

Easeuse Todo backup click here

Both free. This will allowing you to create a backup of your hard drive with most updates saving you time if you need to do another restore.

T I M B O 14:45 12 Jan 2010

Do you get web pages to load and can you download?

If not, then reste IE7 & delete personnel settings. If you can be a bit more precise then maybe a format would not be required. Also the version of xp maybe on a hidden partition, so dod this pc come with restore disk's or did you burn them yourself or is the pc home made?

rawprawn 14:52 12 Jan 2010

Comodo Time Machine click here
See my comments on this thread click here

VNAM75 15:21 12 Jan 2010

Thanks for the help. The Paragon and Comodo software are just what I need.

I'm getting an IE needs to close error message every 30 seconds even though I'm running Chrome - very annoying. Firefox doesn't even open. Plus my antivirus is not running in the background only works if used manually to scan files. Same problem even if I change anti virus software. So there's definitely something wrong and system restore doesn't work. It never has for me - pretty useless in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?