Alternative site for Microsoft Updates

allanon 23:40 18 Oct 2008

Does anyone know another site to download ms updates from?

ambra4 00:19 19 Oct 2008

None that I know about as all link back to the Microsoft site

What problem you have with updates from Microsoft site?

birdface 00:22 19 Oct 2008

There is one that gives you all the updates but cant remember the name of it.If I remember I will post it here for you.lets hope someone beats me to it.

GaT7 00:26 19 Oct 2008

Why would you want to do this? The best way is via Windows update site.

Anyway, here are a couple of alternate ways:

Visit the Windows Update Catalog click here, & do a search with keywords, e.g. XP for XP updates, Vista for Vista & so on. You can then click on the tabs to sort by 'Last Updated' so you get them in chronological order. Add the ones you need to your basket (some will specify that the update is for 64bit Windows/systems - only download these if you have a 64bit OS). Once done, click on 'view basket' & click on 'Download'. Make sure to install them in chronological order as well.

Another way is using a program like Windows Update Downloader click here (there's another similar program, but it escapes me at the moment).

I've used both the above to very good effect, mainly for downloading updates to create a 'slipstreamed' OS for installing. G

allanon 00:30 19 Oct 2008

Thanks for the advice. It's linked to my other query in the helproom. That I cannot download 3 updates on the Microsoft Update site. The system is set to Automatic download but there is a problem. Ive downloaded RegCure to try and help but nothing works. I'm just clutching at straws really, trying to see if there's another way round the problem like another download site.

birdface 00:31 19 Oct 2008
  GaT7 00:35 19 Oct 2008

Oh, I'm with you now.

Which OS do you use, & do you know the KB number for each update? It'll look like this KB954211. I can help you find the download links, & you can try installing them manually one at a time. G

birdface 00:35 19 Oct 2008

Dump RegCure.You might get more problems if you run that,If on XP there is this.click here or click here

GaT7 00:37 19 Oct 2008

Autopatcher, that's the one I couldn't remember! FAQs click here. G

Burpie 00:42 19 Oct 2008

You can get the Security Updates here click here
Windows Update set to Auto can cause problems on some systems.
I'd set Updates to Manual and select the updates you require from Microsoft's main update site.

allanon 00:48 19 Oct 2008

Buteman, I've downloaded Dial a fix and it allowed me to download another of the updates, only 2 to go see below.

Crossbow7 Thanks again, for the advice I'm running XP.
I've been able to download another update. So now I'm down to 2 KB950974 & KB951072

Is anyone having any similar problems with ms update or am I just the lucky one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie