Alternative to Outlook Express

Crashetta 06:53 19 Nov 2010

I have always used Outlook Express for my emails which can be quite high volume. On 2 occasions my inbox has crashed and all emails lost to another file so looking for a more reliable and as easy to use system.
I am getting a new laptop which will have Windows 7 home as std.
Any idea's appreciated. Tim.

Halmer 07:57 19 Nov 2010
  onthelimit 08:52 19 Nov 2010

If you have windows 7, you may as well use their own email prog - Windows Live Mail - comes ready installed.

Terry Brown 09:21 19 Nov 2010

hy not give Gmail a go (Google Mail)
Terry

Sea Urchin 09:31 19 Nov 2010

Or if you want something a little more exclusive why not try Privacy Harbor?

click here

Gongoozler 09:57 19 Nov 2010

There are several alternatives to Outlook Express, I use Mozilla Thunderbird, however Outlook Express does have one distinct advantage over many (or perhaps all) others. Each folder of O.E. mails is a distinct file named Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Sent items.dbx etc. You can find where these are, and change where they are stored via Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder. You can easily make a backup copy of these files, and most importantly you can read them with a simple utility called DBXtract (apparently superseded by DBXpress, but I've not tried that). The other email programs have backup facilities, but none that I've seen allow this reading of archived mails without importing them into the program.
Regarding your problem of OE crashing, I suspect this may be due to your very large inbox, so I recommend making several email folders and frequently archiving them as described above.

Sea Urchin 10:01 19 Nov 2010

Outlook Express is not available for Windows 7 (or Vista)

geewis357 17:55 19 Nov 2010

I have used incredimail for years and its free

Crashetta 07:59 20 Nov 2010

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I have looked at the Thunderbird and it has some good reviews but will try and find some screenshots of the Windows 7 Live Mail. Good to know Outlook express is not an option at this stage!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?