Alternative Operating System to Microsoft

WelshPrincess 00:38 14 Jun 2017

Which is the best free, alternative operating system to Microsoft?

tullie 05:58 14 Jun 2017

Linux

WelshPrincess 10:01 14 Jun 2017

Thank you, tullie.

Belatucadrus 12:56 14 Jun 2017

There are quite a few Linux variants available, my favourite freebie is Mint

LastChip 10:33 16 Jun 2017

As Belatucadrus says, Linux Mint is very nice indeed and the 18.1 version (almost the latest) is stable and has long term support to April 2021. I suggest you choose the Cinnamon version using either 32 bit or 64 bit as your hardware dictates.

WelshPrincess 09:14 19 Jun 2017

Belatucadrus and LastChip. Thank you for your help.

MJS WARLORD 14:12 20 Jun 2017

WARNING.... hope you see this welsh..... be very careful when installing any linux , i said yes to too many questions about partitioning during installing mint.. because i did not fully understand what was happening i was unable to dual boot between windows and linux. it turned out that i had accidentally destroyed windows.. i would recommend you post " how to do it " questions on a linux forum and if possible try and find somebody who can show or do it for you.... btw i did not mind loosing windows on that particular pc as it was vista lol.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?