Alternative to Norton anti-virus

ray27 08:56 01 Nov 2006

At the present I am using Norton anti-virus which came with the Norton System Works which I got about 3 years ago.

I have renewed each year which cost's about £17.00 which I thought was money well spent and it is now comming up for renewal

I have read that there are quite a lot of free anti virus programes available so could anyone advise me on an alternative to Norton's.
Many thanks for any advice
Ray

rawprawn 08:59 01 Nov 2006

click here In PCA Downloads, I would recomend Avast & AVG

birdface 09:06 01 Nov 2006

Hi, I believe the new Norton 2007 Is very good, If you decide to renew that, Go for Norton Internet security,That also has a firewall Anti spam And others, wich give an all round security,But if you want a free one Most use AVG 7.5 I have been using it for about 6 weeks,But i think in this day and age, If you want the best , You have to pay.

ray27 09:26 01 Nov 2006

Thanks for the advice
Cheers Ray

AVG 10:25 01 Nov 2006

AVG have paid versions :)

If you are looking for more than just anti-virus protection and / or technical support then our new range of 7.5 offers protection from viruses, spyware, spam, phishing and a firewall. All backed up with UK based telephone support.

Latest free 30 day trials are avialable here click here

Belatucadrus 11:27 01 Nov 2006

Both AVG and avast! are slightly cut down versions of a pay for anti virus, they are offering a free version only to non profit home users. The development and support is handled by solvent professional companies whose income is generated by commercial operations using the pro license. Both are ICSA rated and tested regularly at Virus bulletin. AVG Grisoft are part owned by Intel and Both are official Microsoft AntiVirus Partners click here . Now it's quite possible to prefer another product for some reason, but don't let the fact that they're free put you off, it's a non issue.

birdface 13:13 01 Nov 2006

Sorry, but dont agree with you. With paid Editions you get extra support,Anti Spam, Firewalls, Ect,Its like Buying a Mini or Buying a Rolls Royce, You get what you pay for, And if its Free It cant be as good, Maybe nearly as good.Ive ran AVG scan over eighty times since I Downloaded it,So far it has found Zero,Have I got the cleanest computer in the UK ,Idont think so,Although not a great fan of norton,I would prefer the 2007 Version of Norton Internet Security to AVG,But i cant afford it.

anskyber 13:24 01 Nov 2006

I quite agree, as a Mini owner I would never choose a Rolls Royce, its so...... yawn.

PS. I do have a paid for security suite for my own reasons but the debate will go on and on. Without the paid for versions no-one would have the free ones other than trial versions.

So all you free people, you can thank me whenever you like! (tongue in cheek honest!!)

birdface 13:28 01 Nov 2006

My Appologies, Not trying to run AVG down,I have only used Norton,Since I got my computer,So can only comment on what I know.And yes I would like to try AVG Internet Security, But at the moment could not afford it,

Belatucadrus 14:11 01 Nov 2006

I never object to people spending their money as they wish, I openly thank all who pay for the pro licenses of AVG and avast! and keep my security bills down to zero. But maintain my position that when comparing like for like ie Anti Virus with Anti Virus, the argument that Free is inherently inferior isn't valid.
True you get what you pay for, an advanced user interface you don't need and phone support, but do you NEED it, my position is no the free avast! e-mail support does the job but it's my individual choice.
As to saying that you get more with the full security suites, true, I've never suggested otherwise. But as you say it's like comparing a Mini with a Rolls they aren't the same thing. As to all the extra features listed, they can be handled perfectly well by freeware alternatives.
I'll even break a long standing habit and say that Norton 2007 looks to be OK, an improvement on its predecessors, they've finally noted all the complaints about high system load and done something about it. But I still wouldn't use it.
However probably the most important factor can't be quantified or analysed, it's peace of mind and if anybody needs to buy an all singing and dancing suite to get it, then do so.
Just whatever you do, don't go on the Internet without without anything in the fatuous belief that it'll never happen to you. (You being a generic, not a specific you).

Totally-braindead 14:53 01 Nov 2006

My advice for what its worth. Either forget Norton totally and move to a free anti virus like AVG or buy another anti virus such as AVG or NOD32 or whatever, if you want to stay with Norton do not renew it again as you say you have had it 3 years but buy the new 2007 version.
The reason I say this is, I was using a Norton product quite happily a few years ago and paying the renewal money and all was well. Until a virus got it that Norton just couldn't do anything about. I contacted Symantec and was told they no longer supported my version as it was too old. I argued that I had paid my subscription and they basically said that that was to get the updated anti virus definitions and that was all. I was furious to put it mildly. They never said a thing about my Norton no longer being supported when I renewed my subscription. If they had then perhaps I would have bought a newer version I would definately not have paid them for another year.
I was so disgusted with them I moved to AVG free and have been using that quite happily for the past 3 years.
If you are happy with Norton and wish to keep using it then buy the latest version.
Personally AVG free does me fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?