Alternative mail program other than outlook expres

suedeblue 11:51 15 Jul 2007

I am having problems with my outlook express and everytime I open it it wants to use dial up although I am on BT broadand.
I did for a while use orange dial up when I moved house in Febuary although I was with tiscali then.
I also cannot send mail via outlook as it tries to connect via dial up.
I was wondering whether I should try and use another mail program as I don't know how to rectify this problem.
I use mozilla firefox to access the net currently.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:19 15 Jul 2007

Open outlook express and go to tools-options-connection-change-highlight your Bb connection and click 'set as default' and ensure 'always dialmy default connection' is ticked.

G

suedeblue 13:08 15 Jul 2007

Thanks Gandalf. I've just tried that but outlook still asks for dial up connection.
When I was with tiscali my connection looked slightly different to the BT hub connection.
I don't have any password or user name entered in the connection box.

Reb 13:28 15 Jul 2007

are you using vista or xp cos I think they might be slightly different -
you could delete all the old connections that might be there - Im on broadband & I dont have any connections showing in the connection tab -
have you put in the correct new details of your email into outlook cos you wont be able to send til thats set up either

suedeblue 13:40 15 Jul 2007

Reb, I'm using xp home. When you say correct new details do you mean my new BT connection details?

JayDay 13:42 15 Jul 2007

Thunderbird is a good free alternative click here

birdface 13:52 15 Jul 2007

Control Panel. Internet options.Connections .Lan Settings.Tick Automatically detect settings. Ok. Apply. Ok. Thunderbird is an obvious choice,but I use Incredimail.click here Free version.

Reb 14:21 15 Jul 2007

outlook will work its just not set up right.
There are plenty of other email progs you could try :-)
yes at somepoint you have to put in your user name & password & the pop & smtp settings - all this is probablly on your install disc from BT & all it will ask you to put in is your username and password, it does the rest for you if it doesnt its easy to do yourself

Reb 14:26 15 Jul 2007

this says it will set up your BT email in outlook for you :-)

click here

Reb 14:39 15 Jul 2007

sorry just found this page & it might be better but should help u out :-)

click here#

woodchip 15:21 15 Jul 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?