an alternative to flash

mco 08:31 09 Jan 2006

Is there a way I can provide an alternative (I mean a still image) to a flash animation on a webpage for people who don't have flash, so that they don't just see a blank space where the flash would be? (or is it too difficult for me; I'm just a novice)

Forum Editor 12:57 09 Jan 2006

is to have your site check your visitors' browsers for the Flash plugin. If it's not there you can automatically send people to a separate page - perhaps called no_flash.htm and this could have a link to the Flash plugin download, and/or other content for people (and there are lots of them) who just don't want to bother with Flash.

What software are you using to design the site?

mco 16:22 09 Jan 2006

..on one of them and on the other it's not a software program; it's an online webbuilder with lycos - though it should still be possible to do whatever I need. I'd like to know how to do this, at the very least with NOF, if possible.

ade.h 22:25 09 Jan 2006

There's a tool on the left pane of NOF that adds a screen door to a page, as the FE suggests.

mco 22:58 09 Jan 2006

That's interesting ade.h; I hadn't realised that - I will investigate further tomorrow. Will that do me for non-flash viewers then?

ade.h 23:07 09 Jan 2006

I would think so (says he with caution!)

I have not as yet made use of this feature; it has been on my NOF to-do list for a while. It's on the NOF Components section of the left pane, which may or may not be on screen depending on your view settings.

If used as the FE suggests - a automatic way in to an alternative page or set of pages - then it should provide a satisfactory work around. The one question mark is; can it be used to recognise the absence of Flash? Try and see. Make a simple test site, publish it to your test space (if you don't have some freespace for testing, you should get some - very useful) and access it from a PC that does not have a Flash plugin installed.

mco 23:15 09 Jan 2006

in the help section relating to it - I found the screen door tool - but I'll have a go anyway. Have another problem I'm about to start a new thread on too!

ade.h 23:37 09 Jan 2006

I'll keep an eye out for it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?