Alternative bar-code?

Peter 14:07 22 May 2005

I know that this subject is not strictly computerish, but I think, that among the erudite readership here, someone may know the answer.

I've recently seen a small rectangle, subdivided into four rectangles, which contains a pattern of dots. This pattern has appeared on a couple of items posted to me; one is a washing machine spare part and the other my Tesco Clubcard envelope. I think the pattern is encoded information, possibly a picture. Can anyone shed any more specific light on this item?

Peter.

Klof Ron 17:43 22 May 2005

Not sure but I think it's how their sorting machines recognise a post code.

AndySD 17:50 22 May 2005

Probably an RFID Tag.

Peter 18:08 22 May 2005

Klof Ron - Yes it could be something to do with postal sorting. I thought I saw something in the past about this sort of pattern being a form of graphic encryption/compression. Thanks for your response.

AndySD - I don't think it's an RFID Tag as it is just printed onto paper and doesn't contain the usual looped printed wire aerial. I suppose it could be magnetic ink. Thanks also for your response.

Peter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 22 May 2005

Dont think its an RFID tag click here

Peter 12:40 23 May 2005

Thanks for the interesting link Fruit Bat /\0/\.

Now that the weekend crew have had a go how about the weekday people? Any ideas?

Peter.

pauldonovan 13:24 23 May 2005

click here

Quite a bit of google searching for images of bar code types revealed that.

Sounds like it is a 2D matrix barcode - to fit more data within space than other types.

Don't think RFID has been rolled-out much yet other than trials although if you search google you can get RFID labels...the point of RFID is that its radio frequency so i don't think it would need a fancy barcode on the label if it was working!

Peter 17:00 23 May 2005

Yes that's it Paul, although the ones I've seen have only been black on white. Thanks for your Google searching. Seems a bit expensive, doesn't it? I wonder if there is a FREE decoder!

Peter.

pauldonovan 17:50 23 May 2005

..no probs.

I didn't even see the cost but I did a search on "data matrix bar codes" and found this:

click here

looks like they have an evaluation version!

Regards,

Paul

Peter 18:31 23 May 2005

Thanks again Paul. I've downloaded the Windows Demo; I shall see what it does when I get a chance.

I'll tick this one as solved.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017