alternative to asquared free for win 98?

p;3 14:25 22 Dec 2007

(on one of my computers running with win 98se ) I am among those who continue to experience problems with the asquared updating despite repeat reboots, uninstalling and reinstalling what WAS a good and reliable program;

I already have avg av on the affected computer and superantispyware plus adaware and spybot amongst other stuff;

what alternative free program to asquared can those who do run on win 98se suggest that will co-operate and update successfully and work as effectively as asquared please?

bluto1 20:46 22 Dec 2007

Add cCleaner and I'd say you're well covered. click here

p;3 21:07 22 Dec 2007

as I fail to see how, perhaps someone could explain how Ccleaner is considered as an alternative to the asquared program? I presume you do not have a squared on your computer or know how it works?

rdave13 21:52 22 Dec 2007

There seems to be a lot of problems with this issue with win 98 accordng to a squared forums. Maybe it will be fixed at a later date. Good luck.

p;3 22:06 22 Dec 2007

it is worth remembering that when windows 98 boots up it searches for the last known good configuration ; if a2 is playing up then win 98 will not accept the bad downloads; I have noted the numerous threads on here and elsewhere about the a2 program and it may now have 'lost the plot' on being a reliable program ; it should update easily but it refuses to; so, an alternative trustworthy program is needed ; I have noted threads that discuss shifting items between folders; you really should NOT have to be doing that; so; an alternative is needed; and maybe the win98 has found a flaw IN the a2 program's updateability ; if the updates are not 'safe' then the reboot will not accept them and it will revert to a good configuration

with all these problems I suggest that a2 seems to be losing it' s credibility

rdave13 22:31 22 Dec 2007

This problem reminds me of a similar situation concerning Lavasoft's Ad-aware program. The new version had teething problems. Seems to be ok now. A squared's new version 3.1 has to take into account the new Windows OS as well as the now elderly Windows OS'. On XP I think it is still a very valuable scanner and has not lost any credibility for me. There again I don't run Win. 98. Maybe the programmers need a little time to iron things out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone