Allowing internet connection

Nazzarenu Boy 17:31 24 Jun 2006

Hi ppl,

Could i make some adjustments so some people in my network could have internet conection? Because example to a certain computer i do not want to allow internet usage but to some other computer i want .... Can i do that? How do i do that?

Any help will be appriciated......

Thanks forwardly

Nazzarenu Boy

ade.h 18:05 24 Jun 2006

You need to create certain rules - based on each client's physical address - in the router's firewall settings, normally listed as Access Control or a similar description. You will need to refer to your router's PDF manual for more detailed information as each brand is different.

mgmcc 18:05 24 Jun 2006

In order to connect to the internet you must use TCP/IP protocol. You could therefore run your local network with a different protocol, such as IPX/SPX, and only have TCP/IP enabled in those computers that are to be connecting to the internet. Anyone with a basic knowledge of networking could, of course, re-enable TCP/IP, so it depends on who you are trying to block and their level of computer literacy.

Alternatively, there may be settings in your router which will let you give certain computers LAN access but not internet access.

ade.h 18:11 24 Jun 2006

Similarly, you could configure each client's firewall to block internet traffic through the LAN and then password the firewall's config. Easy to do with any decent firewall.

Nazzarenu Boy 18:25 24 Jun 2006

My router is SpeedTouch 530 .......... and here is its website click here
but i can not find any things about programs in the control pannel ... i do not know if you can make rules in it?

Pls help

Nazzarenu Boy 18:44 24 Jun 2006

My router is SpeedTouch 530 .......... and here is its website click here
but i can not find any things about programs in the control pannel ... i do not know if you can make rules in it?

Pls help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017