Allow printer sharing.

john bunyan 16:05 22 Jun 2010

I have just bought a new Laptop. My set up before was a Desktop (w7) wired via ethernet to a Belkin N+ Wireless router and a USB connection to my Canon MP640 printer/scanner.
I would like to change this to connect the MP to the router via a ethernet cable, and hopefully be able to print from the desktop via the wired part of the network, and print from the laptop via wireless. The laptop (w7 also) is now linked such that it works on the internet etc, and I have installed the printer drivers on it. Can I just disconnect the USB link and substitute the ethernet one to the router? Do I need to uninstall the printer first and reinstall with the new connection?

Strawballs 01:38 23 Jun 2010

Unless the router has a built in print server you will have to get a print server to go between the printer and the router

click here

mgmcc 09:08 23 Jun 2010

As the Canon MP640 "All-in-One" does support both WiFi and Ethernet connectivity, you *CAN* plug it in to the Router by Ethernet cable, or set it up to be used "wirelessly" in the network. Some configuration of IP addressing etc may be necessary.

john bunyan 09:11 23 Jun 2010

Thanks for the link, but the printer manual makes no mention of the need for such a server. This is a simple home network, and all I want to do is to let the laptop use the printer via the network.
Are you sure I need this server?

john bunyan 09:15 23 Jun 2010

Thaks. As my desktop has no wireless card, it is linked to the router by ethernet. I planned to link the MP640 also by ethernet, but could do so by wireless instead. I just thought an ethernet cable is more reliable.Hopefully the laptop could then share the printer.

john bunyan 16:44 23 Jun 2010

Tomorrow I will try tp get it working _ probably cheaper to buy a second printer than to buy a print server!

Strawballs 17:37 23 Jun 2010

Sorry I should have looked up specs on your printer I stand corrected mgmcc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?