All XP processes duplicated

User-9A919F67-6ADE-4BFB-8B35A0F56CB2F7D6 11:51 13 May 2006

This is a weird one.

My system has XP running on it and was fine up until a few days ago. Now it takes ages to boot up and I get lots of rundll and other errors. If I go into the task manager once everything has finished there are two, three or four of every process, and I mean every process. The system is running at 100% and it takes ages to do even the simplest task like open My Computer.

I have checked the registry and there is only one of each program being run. Msconfig looks normal. If I boot up in Safe Mode everything is normal.

This must be a virus of some sort but Norton doesn't pick anything up (takes nearly a day to run).

Apart from reloading windows is there anything else I can do. I have never heard of this happening before.

Thanks in advance

terryf 11:55 13 May 2006

Have you tried the free panda virus checker at click here also the free a-squared at click here plus AVG free at free.grisoft.com/

gudgulf 12:09 13 May 2006

Have you tried System Restore back to before the problem?

I have an up-to-date version of Norton running, and this comes back clean, eventually. I honestly don't think that I will be able to install anything else on this system. I need to work with what I've got.

System Restore won't work. It just comes up with an error window and never runs.

What can cause the system to run 2 or more of everything? I for one have never heard of this happening. Can anybody explain how it is even possible?

gudgulf 14:23 13 May 2006

From task manager what are the processes that are using the processor most?........that might give a clue to the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone