All these updates?

Blackcats 14:34 19 Aug 2006

Hi all, I'm new here so hope someone can help, Every time I turn off the computer, there are always 7 updates to install. Seems odd to me that there are always the same number. Yesterday I had reason to switch off early evening, then switch back on 2 hours later. The updates were there at the first switch off and again later in the evening when I finally switched off for bed. Are these updates not being installed or are there really that many every day?
Thank you.

iscanut 14:42 19 Aug 2006

Updates from Microsoft are monthly, second Tuesday of each month. A silly question, but have you selected the install option or have automatic updates switched on ? They do not install themselves unless you have the auto update set.

Blackcats 18:14 19 Aug 2006

I do have, and have always had, automatic updates on. If they are only monthly, why do I see this everyday? Are they not installing? How do I find out? Help would be very welcome.

Jackcoms 18:41 19 Aug 2006

"there are always 7 updates to install"

Presumably, therefore, you have the little yellow shield symbol in the Task Bar at the bottom right?

Click on the yellow shield and you should be offered the option to install the updates.

You may have auto update set to download/install; but if the PC is turned off at the time you have set in Auto updates they cannot install.

Blackcats 19:26 19 Aug 2006

No yellow shield, I'm afraid. Anyway I can check what's downloaded, if anything?

Jackcoms 19:33 19 Aug 2006

Control Panel; Add or Remove Programs.

Look for 'Windows XP - Software Updates'. They will all have an installation date beside them.

VoG II 20:49 19 Aug 2006

Or run this click here

yaesu 15:43 24 Aug 2006

Hi, did you resolve this, I'm interested! Oh, and you have to click in box "show updates" in Add Remove. Regards, yaesu

Blackcats 14:09 25 Aug 2006

Hi yaesu, I did click 'show updates' and the last one was 9th July. I tried again last night to download updates, it goes through the process but ends up saying it failed, no updates were downloaded. I don't know how to fix this.

Thanks also VoG, I ran that and got the same date for the last update. That was a good programme to have, very comprehensive, thank you.

Any suggestions, guys, please?

Blackcats 14:16 25 Aug 2006

Sorry sorry sorry!! Mis-read the updates. Last update 9th of 8th!!! I saw that as July, shows what a nugget I am. Last update was 9th August. My aplologies, it just dawned on me after I posted.

yaesu 15:06 25 Aug 2006

Hi, since 10 Aug I've had 8 updates. If it helps the numbers are KB920683;KB921398;922616;920214;920670;917422, all on 10/08 and KB914440&904942 both on 24/08. If you go here click here and do a search for the KB article no. it'll give you details what it's for. Not sure if this'll help but you could try downloading them individually and see if this works. You'll find KB904942 relates to ie7 so you might not need this. Regards,yaesu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires