All these blinkin fragments - where do they all co

wotbus@ 18:47 20 Jan 2005

me from....[to the tune of Eleanour Rigby] ;-)
A couple of days ago I did a disc cleanup [compress old files]. From this moment I have had 3k plus fragmentation which Diskeeper seems unable to clear. I am careful with maintenance and rarely have above 3 or 4 fragments on the disc so what's going on. Some strange behaviour as I watch the defrag taking place - a red block about 1cm wide moves slowling along the defrag screen! I has reached the end [right hand side] and is now proceeding along the line beneath each time I defrag - never saw that before. The 1st defrag after the disc cleanup reported more than 700k fragments!!! - took an age to finish and won't clean under 3k. Any idea's anyone, please?

GaT7 19:27 20 Jan 2005

Strange behaviour there from Diskeeper. What happens when you use Windows own defragmenter? What's your OS & Diskeeper version, please? Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall? If you have a paid-for version you may be entitled to free support click here.

I've been having problems with Diskeeper as well (the Lite free version on Win98se). Problems began ever since I installed a second hard drive some months ago. I have a total of 7 (3+4) partitions on the drives. Invariably I need to use Windows own defragmenter (after shutting down background programs) to get the desired level of defragmentation. Tried a uninstall/reinstall with no change. G

wotbus@ 21:21 20 Jan 2005

Strange indeed. The drive is finally clear but not before trying everything I knew. It wouldnt scan at all in safe mode, kept saying the tool was unabavilable!. I did syscheck, av check, spyware check, rebooted several times, did a disc cleanup again, ran DisKeeper for the umpteenth time and lo and behold the HDD was down to 1k'is fragments and the big red block just disappeared as I watched !!! I have been doing a lot of Photo slidewhow work and I am sure the massive fragmentation is connected with it :-( but all seems OK now. Thanks for taking an interest. I have XP Home SP2 by the way.

wotbus@ 21:22 20 Jan 2005

"unavailable" actually ;-), I've had enough for today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?