All sorts of MS updates clogging my computer.

dezi 15:10 05 Sep 2006

My MS updates, security or otherwise, auto update.
I had a look the other day and nearly fainted when I seen hundreds of them. How many mega/ giga am I loosing on my disk now?
Like thousands of other users I dont understand the technical details of these or their worth in my system. I imagine some of the security ones will be necessary, but which ones can now be deleted, some must be very old. I have updates on for media player 9 and 10 but I only have 10 installed now, similarly with other programs.
Do you think I could delete those that are say 1 or 2 years old?
thanks for any help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 05 Sep 2006

you can delete any file in the windows foldr starting with $.

these are the restore points creted when the upate was installed.

BurrWalnut 16:09 05 Sep 2006

Also, make a note of the KB numbers that you have deleted then go to Add/Remove Programs, tick 'Show updates' and 'attempt' to uninstall them one at a time. You will get an orphaned registry key message but it's OK to delete them.

I tend to keep those that are under 2 months old just in case the fix misbehaves.

dezi 16:18 05 Sep 2006

Great...I counted 94 of the $ files in C/Windows, some showing as much as 13meg each. Before I delete them are you quite sure about this, they also end with $.

dezi 16:27 05 Sep 2006

When I delete these $ files from Windows will they still be in the Add/Remove progs?

surfmonkey #:@}© 16:31 05 Sep 2006

dosent the ccleaner do it under the advanced feature as hotfix uninstallers

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:37 05 Sep 2006

Instead of all the faffing about download Ccleaner click here. (free) and when you firat run it select all the options from advanced apart from 'clearwindow size/location. Run cleane rand it will delete all your rubbish and the Uninstall files. You will never need them so there is no point holding on to them.

G

dezi 16:40 05 Sep 2006

Where is the advanced feature you think will clean ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:56 05 Sep 2006

open Ccleaner and on the left hand side you will see a bunch of ticks......use the scroll bar and you will see advanced.

G

dezi 20:12 05 Sep 2006

All now deleted plus more when I got Ccleaner.
In total got 210 Meg.
Thanks a lot
ps Hope others see this.

wee eddie 23:29 05 Sep 2006

Unless you have an HDD of less than 30GB, 210MB is insignificant.

Why worry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?