All Ports Closed but no firewall - Help???

laurieballard 14:44 09 Dec 2006

I was using XP built in firewall but for some reason the programs i was using could not connect out. By this is mean Itunes in that it says it cannot map a port so cannot connect. I disbaled the firewall but it still will not work. This is also the same when i installed Realplaer and it tried to connect to register but would not work. The programs seem to have problems mapping ports even though the firewall is disabled.

Any ideas?

rsinbad 15:00 09 Dec 2006

your router may have built in firewall, you will need to configure port forwading services

laurieballard 15:05 09 Dec 2006

Dont have a router. Use AOL broadband with voyager 105 adsl modem

gudgulf 15:27 09 Dec 2006

What antivirus are you using?

I ask because some of them have application behaviour monitoring and can also block programs from functioning.

laurieballard 15:35 09 Dec 2006

Computer is brand new and has not got an antivurs installed yet

gudgulf 15:44 09 Dec 2006

Have you updated Windows and let AOL update.

There have been a number of connectivity fixes for SP2 issued by AOL.....it will update automatically or ask you if you want to install updates.

I would strongly advise activating Windows firewall and installing an antivirus program immediately.

laurieballard 15:57 09 Dec 2006

Thanks Gudgulf

My pc came with a stupid norton trial thing installed and i have only just realised. I uninstalled it and this fixed the problem. Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?