all in one printers v single printer

trying 11:53 07 Nov 2003

Hi There
Any advise from experienced PC users on which very FIRST printer to buy. Should I just buy the basic inkjet or plump for the All in one- printer/scanner/copier?
Any advise very welcome
Trying

Diodorus Siculus 12:12 07 Nov 2003

It all depends on what you want to do with it and whether you will also make use of a scanner.

Decide what you want from the printer: photos etc will require a good quality inkjet whereas bulk printing of documents will suggest the use of a laser printer.

tenplus1 12:13 07 Nov 2003

Combination Printers with Scanner / Copier features are just as good as single components, only they take up much less space and give you the same quality you'd get from a standalone printer / scanner...

Lexmark and Hewlett Packard are really good on this side, especially for their under ?100 models...

recap 12:14 07 Nov 2003

Personal preference here I think. You need to weigh up your requirements. Do you need a scanner? Do you need a copier? Are you limited for space? Is an all-in-one within your budget? If the answer to these questions is yes then go for an all-in-one. If not then go for a basic ink jet printer. In both cases remember to take into account the cost of replacement cartridges.

dth 12:20 07 Nov 2003

I always think of the the combined washing machine / tumble dryer example. If one is knackered - they both are!

wee eddie 21:33 07 Nov 2003

Individual units, each chosen on it's merits, will get you better results and almost certainly be cheaper to run.

mammak 21:42 07 Nov 2003

dth good point, bit like a combi TV/Video. yep got to agree with this good fellow, one goe,s then what happen,s to the rest???? saying that i have got one lol an the printer is up the creak not long i would think before the scanner and copier go,s as well.

madPentium 21:43 07 Nov 2003

I have been to customers who have combined units and had lots of problems. The HP office jets, the lexmark combines etc. Its mainly due to software problems though.

A_World_Maker 21:46 07 Nov 2003

I've heard/read that some combo's drink ink. Jack of all.. master of.......

dotterel 21:51 07 Nov 2003

Although I use an all in one (tiny cottage!) I'd prefer to use separates. I've had both hardware and software problems which have meant that I couldn't use the printer because the scanner component was playing up and vice versa.

Pesala 22:34 07 Nov 2003

Laser printing is much faster, and usually cheaper. I have three gadgets. A laser printer, which I use all the time, a colour printer which I use occasionally, and a scanner that I use once in a blue moon. Go for a budget laser printer for long term value for money first, and add the other bits when you really need them.

If you don't intend to do much printing, a multifunction device is a good compromise, but be aware that it is a compromise. Expensive to run, jack of all trades, master of none.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017