All my files are .lnk!!

red dragon 23:24 04 May 2005

Hi

I have just restarted my pc and now all the shortcuts on the desktop and all the programs in my start/programs have the extention .lnk.

Almost nothing works.
I only managed to get on here when windows wants to look for the unknown ext. on the web

Is this a virus?
Thanks in advance
Red Dragon

Jak_1 23:32 04 May 2005

What os and what antivirus are you using?

red dragon 23:37 04 May 2005

Windows XP sp2
Norton 2005
Adaware
spybot search and destroy
pestpatrol
spyware blaster
and the microsoft one cant remember what its called.

I can understand it
Virtually all my program files are .lnk

gudgulf 23:46 04 May 2005

I think the .lnk extension is the Windows file type used for shortcuts.......but click here

If you can an online scan with Trend mighht be a good starting point click here

red dragon 07:02 05 May 2005

OK
I have managed to get some things working again by downloading a linkfile reg fix.
By doing this I have discovered that Norton antivirus had been disabled and none of my other spyware/virus sofeware works either.
Most of the EXE files still dont work and Im not sure how to proceed.
It looks to me like a virus but symantec and trend online virus checkers have found nothing.
When I double click and short cut or virtually any EXE files nothing happens. If I right click I dont even get an open with option.
Any help would be greatly received.
Red Dragon

gudgulf 10:31 05 May 2005

I've been searching the net and there are definitely worms/viruses out there that will attempt to turn off or even ininstall your av programs and will overwrite certain file types.By and large these seem to be older malware types,a couple of years or so....which means they should be detected by your av.Nothing's perfect though!

Try a scan with Stinger click here and see if that finds anything.It might be worh running CHKDSK to sort out any corruption in the file system and,if you have the Windows disc to hand put it in the pc and run "sfc /scannow" to look for problems in the windows installation.

Running Hijack This is worth doing to see exactly what is running on your pc click here and click here for a list of threads which will give you plenty of information about how to post a log etc.

gudgulf 10:35 05 May 2005

One other thought......try a system restore to before this happened.If it is a file corruption problem it might just save you a lot of work.

woodchip 10:40 05 May 2005
  keith-236785 10:40 05 May 2005

click here and run a scan with housecall anti-virus, you will need to allow it to install the needed files but its pretty simple.

sound as though you have uninstalled something which has screwed up the file extensions.

you could try a system file checker (sfc)

click start, click run, then type (or copy/paste this)

sfc /scannow

note the space after sfc

you would need your winxp disc for the sfc to work, make sure it is in the drive before starting (a restore disk should work too)

good luck

woodchip 10:42 05 May 2005

PS as above it's got to be a VIRUS

gudgulf 10:51 05 May 2005

woodchip

I believe it is the .lnk files as in shortcut files and not .ink(L not I)

You may well be right about a virus though....if it's a type that overwrites file extensions then it will have caused a lot of damage.I do wonder though if it is merely a bad shutdown causing some file system corruption...after all this occured when the system was shut down/restarted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?