is all memory the same?

bewildered8 23:24 26 Oct 2003

Complete novice here... I have a new laptop with 256mb memory. I want to put another 512mb in and have been looking on the web but dont understand the difference between unbuffered, EEC something and EEC registered. Does anyone know if it really matters? Oh and theres the 'non parity' bit too???

Any advice gratefully received.

bewildered

DieSse 23:26 26 Oct 2003

No, all memory isn't the same, and yes, it all matters. However there's a simple solution - buy your memory from this very reputable source, which should also tell you exactly what you need for your laptop. click here

woodchip 23:29 26 Oct 2003

You should go to the Crucial site and put what make of computer you have got into the correct box, and it will tell you which memory you need click here

Simon_P 23:32 26 Oct 2003

There are many types of memory to many to write about here.

This goes into depth click here

I your case I think that you will probably find the answer in your laptop documentation. Or you could contact the supplier to find out what types are compatable.

I would think that you will have to have it fitted as doing it your self may have an adverse effect on your gaurentee.

I dont have any experience with laptops but as I understand it the components are not the asme as Desktops.

bewildered8 23:56 26 Oct 2003

I did look at the crucial thing and it said what would fit but then on the dabs site there were three different kinds of the same thing with the buffered thing being the difference.

Thanks for help will go read the techno stuff as suggested above. Would be nice if something on the computer front was straight forward or I was cleverer though!

bewildered8 00:05 27 Oct 2003

Just checked that site and now I know what all the ECC stuff is about!!!

Splendid, thankyou.

DieSse 00:11 27 Oct 2003

When you buy from Crucial you can't really go wrong - if you use their product selector they guarantee you will get what works in your system - and you get Grade1 memory (which you may or may not get elsewhere).

Stuartli 08:59 27 Oct 2003

There are slightly different ways of inserting memory into a laptop compared to a desktop but your manual should detail how to do it.

As pointed out above, it's important to get the right type of memory for your make and model as it is critical.

Crucial is a superb company and again it has rightly been pointed out that it will replace without quibble if you order the wrong type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?