All the lights are on, but no one is at home!

Allan RISC OS user 16:05 18 Dec 2008

My Speed Touch 585 Broadband Router appears to stop functioning at times even though all the lights are on. Some times it will just start to load a site but then stops and does not complete other times it does not start to load the site (there is no data going through at all). I then switch it off and on again at the built in switch and all appears to function well after getting on line.

I am using Windows XP and Tiscali.

Are the problems with the Router, the Sites, or my ISP?

Any thoughts please.

rawprawn 16:14 18 Dec 2008

Can you reset that router, there is usually a small Reset button which will reset it back to default factory settings. Although I don't know about that particular router.
Tiscali is also the bottom of the pile in my opinion.

muscic lover 17:02 18 Dec 2008

Have you tried disconnecting the power supply, wait 20 seconds and reconnect the power?

If you have then OK.

This often clears problems, but if this fails, try the factory default reset button (pen or pin needed) - usually sited at the rear of the unit.

If you router is from NTL/Virgin ask for a reboot of the system from the remote engineers (dial 150 and follow the options for tech support).

I had them reboot my signals and this cured my similar problem.

woodchip 17:25 18 Dec 2008

Reset button is the way to go, just turning power of is not enough

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?