All Firefox Tabs Gone on startup

hawthorn59 15:30 15 Sep 2008

Once again it has happened! Though this time I think another website might be responsible. As the title said, all my Firefox tabs were gone when I opened up today. Its nothing to do with settings, I have it set to open saved tabs on startup etc

But there was just one page open; a page advertising screensavers. I think it was "casa media! or something like that. I then checked the settings and Firefox had its usual hompe page set, but yet it didnt open at that page. I had to load another site over it to get rid of it.

I think it popped up on a games aite I was surfing. But how or why did it get rid of all my tabs and only open up with the ad page?

And how do these pop ups happen if Vista is so good? Im using Firefox. Usually they dont.

My security is

Vista (!), AVG Anti Virus, and Windows Defender.

I thought that was all I needed with vista, maybe not.

Thanks

h

brundle 15:41 15 Sep 2008

Get something more effective than Windows Defender. It can be handy to check for changes to startup entries, but little else. As an experiment, close all browsers and go the start orb, type in the search area

www-google.co.uk

and press return

(replace the dash with a dot of course, you have to type the whole address yourself and not just click the link)

Do you get a browser showing just the google page or google and all your usual startup links?

If the former is the case, and I suspect it will be, some kind of spyware is generating popups and opens the browser to a single page without your input.

brundle 16:15 15 Sep 2008

click here

Seems to be pretty tough to remove; click here

You might need a HJT log analysis if the tools suggested don't shift it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone