Alert on startup after installing IE7

Adrian-210139 11:30 03 Dec 2006

After installing IE7 from a Windows Update prompt I am greeted with the following message- SmartBridge Alerts : MotiveSB.exe- Entry point not found
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL.

The microsoft website indicates that the problem is known in the beta version and sugggets that I should install the latest version. As I installed IE7 from a windows update prompt I assumed this was the latest version.
Can anyone suggest a solution in simple step by step terms as I am no computer wizzard.

VoG II 11:38 03 Dec 2006

Courtesy of anskyber:

BT and some NTL or Blueyonder broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or MotiveSB.exe for NTL or IST for Blueyonder) Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"

This relates to the BT ( NTL, Blueyonder) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB.

Alternatively,
1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe. for NTL or IST\SmartBridge for Blueyonder)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here

Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

Adrian-210139 11:16 10 Dec 2006

Thankyou for your quick response to my problem. Unfortunately, this did not cure the problem. IE7 also seems to have affected System Restore I can no longer go back to a restore point in November. To be fair there were other updates installed at the same time as IE7. However, on uninstalling IE7 I still have the system restore problem.
For now it seems I must be content with IE6!

birdface 11:31 10 Dec 2006

You seem to be the only one that it has not worked for,If you are with Ntl might be worth just leaving it, They are working on the problem just now,Mind you that was 6 weeks ago that they posted that,It does not do any harm, just a nuisance deleting it all the time,Those instructions that Vog posted normally work.

Adrian-210139 11:51 10 Dec 2006

Thanks, you are right I am on NTL. Hope it takes less time to sort out than my telephone bill!!

chocolate cake 12:03 10 Dec 2006

Thought I'd throw a panner in here. I'm on ntl and took the steps that Anskyber described and have had no further problems with PSAPI.dll

chocolate cake 12:03 10 Dec 2006

Thet'll be 'spanner'.

UncleP 12:54 10 Dec 2006

Thanks, guys. Marking for action later when I've sorted out the other problems with IE7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?