Aldi Tevion 1620 PVR. :(

six-h 21:05 10 Oct 2007

Having persisted with this dratted machine for almost 11 months, it is now time to accept that they will probably never get the firmware right, I think the fifth OAD is scheduled for next week!
Having accepted the inevitable, I am now trying to record to DVD-RW discs, a few films that I've not yet watched.
The only method I can think of to do this is to play the recording and capture the output (using the composite connections), I'm using Cyberlink Power Producer to do this, then trimming the start and finish, and sniping the adverts.
When I try to burn to disc, I am only able to do this at the reduced quality (LP) setting. There is no option to split the recording to two discs.
Since I have DVD Shrink 3.1, I thought maybe this would produce a better quality on one disc, but the programme cannot read .ppp files
I also have Nero 6, installed, and Easy Media Creator 7.5 (not yet installed).
Would either of these, or even Moviemaker, produce a better end result?
Or is there a better , and less time consuming way of doing it? because I'm severly disillusioned by what I can achieve!

woodchip 21:13 10 Oct 2007

You have not explained what you are trying to do. Are you using a Camcorder or TV? is this a Hard Drive Recorder or What? You have not given Model or anything

woodchip 21:14 10 Oct 2007

Sorry in Title

woodchip 21:16 10 Oct 2007

You have not explained what you are trying to do. Are you using a Camcorder or TV? is this a Hard Drive Recorder or What? You have not given Model or anything. So it's a Twin Tuner £99 Aldi Personal Video Recorder. Tell us more about what you want to do

six-h 21:26 10 Oct 2007

the PVR hard disk, to my PC's hard disk, then burn the result to DVD-RW, but I seem not only to be defeating the object of the exercise,(To save recordings for watching at my leisure)since I am watching it record, then almost watching it all again whilst picking out the adverts, then spending a further two to three hours rendering and burning to disc, a copy that would have difficulty being favourably compared to a poor quality mass produced video tape!
I hope that there is a better way!!

six-h 21:29 10 Oct 2007

I have had enough of the bugs and glitches in the firmware of this PVR machine after 5 firmware upgrades, and I am exercising my "No Quibble 12 month warranty" before it's too late!

woodchip 21:31 10 Oct 2007

Does the Recorder have Analog out connections? if it does you could use a USB capture card, I have one of these but it goes under a different name. Mines a Tevion click here

woodchip 21:33 10 Oct 2007
  six-h 21:44 10 Oct 2007

Yes it does, I'm using the Composite connectors, (It doesn't have S-video) and the same composite input on my PC.
My PC has an "All in wonder" card (Analogue TV, Graphics and Video capture) so I don't need a seperate capture card.

woodchip 14:01 11 Oct 2007

Well the above works for me, when i need it. it alsoas it's own software and just press a button on the side of it captures a still

six-h 22:38 12 Oct 2007

Yes, it works for me too, but I'm a bit miffed at the quality of the finished product, like I say, I've seen better quality bootleg copy video tapes!

So much for digital advancement.

I had imagined something more akin to drag and drop copying, and a finished product (DVD) to be Ahemm, indistinguishable from the original, lol.

I had hoped that messrs. Holme who seem to be rather professional on things photographic/video might have some good advice.
I'll leave this open in the hope that someone can show me the error of my ways!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone