Alarming error message - nwlink.vxd file

Rockarch 06:01 21 Feb 2005

I have just taken over a win98se pc which is running some business critical software.I was trying to set it up to connect to my (small) network and on rebooting after changing some of hte network settings I got the following blue screen message:
'Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file but the device file no longer exists

nwlink.vxd'

What is puzzling me is that I didn't uninstall or delete anything just before getting this message. I did delete a dial up connection to BT Openworld (as this is a dead account) but surely this shouldn't affect it like this. The pc still appears to function ok but I want to find out what this is and either reinstall the application or uninstall it properly.
Any clues to start me on the detective trail?

Rockarch 06:23 21 Feb 2005

You can ignore this now as I figured it out. In case anyone else wants to know - remove the IPX/SPX protocol in network properties in win98 & the error disappears. Not connecting to the network yet but thats a different story

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?