AHHHHHH, Connecting two PC's

Tonycablejr 20:44 17 Feb 2007

Hi,

i've got two Pc's that i am trying to 'network'. well by network, i've connected them via a patch cable!!!

The main one i have set to have an ip address of 192.168.0.1, as thats the internet pc, and the other 192.168.0.2, both with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

one is win xp home (1) and the other win xp pro (2)

they are both members of the same workgroup (called HOME)

they seem to connect ok and can both access the internet, but thats about it.

i can't ping each other, can't share out a printer (which alerted me to this problem) nore share files.

i'm not 100% sure what i have done wrong. the only things i can think of, is i have connected them wrong (which i don't think is the case otherwise the internet wouldn't work), or home and pro can't work together (again, why does the net work?).

if anyone can suggest anything or you need more info, please ask

thanks in advance

Tony

Tonycablejr 21:05 17 Feb 2007

change that, the 2nd PC is configured to automatically pick up an IP address... i have just realised for some reason it doesn't work with a static one.

STREETWORK 21:16 17 Feb 2007

On the PC which is connected directly to the router you need to set up file and printer sharing. The network appears OK as both can access the internet.

Tonycablejr 21:19 17 Feb 2007

thanks, but i'm not using a router... i've got both PC's connected via a patch cable direct. i'm starting to think this is where the problem is.

Both have the same workgroup, and both have fie and printer sharing enabled.

but thanks for the reply.

Tonycablejr 21:28 17 Feb 2007

hang on, think i have it... i think its norton blocking my routing... i had this problem on another network i set up.

STREETWORK 21:30 17 Feb 2007

It could be Norton or the firewall you are running, disable the firewall first and see if this helps before messing with norton...

Tonycablejr 21:31 17 Feb 2007

yeah, turned norton filewall off and it now all works :)

Tonycablejr 21:35 17 Feb 2007

well it sort of works, but works well enough for the time being... just got to mess around with the firewall and see if i can get that turned on at the same time.

thanks for your help STREETWORK

STREETWORK 21:36 17 Feb 2007

OK Dokies...

Tonycablejr 21:40 17 Feb 2007

theres still a problem with computer one pinging computer two, but i can live with that for the time being

Tonycablejr 21:48 17 Feb 2007

its windows firewall blocking the second Pc by the looks of things

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017