AGP/PCI ?

thicasabrick 13:28 07 Jul 2006

Hi all, after some advice from this forum I am going to upgrade my graphics card to a 6600GT.

Questions, my computer is about 4 years old, it has 1 AGP slot (which my present card is in) and 5 PCI slots. So would I be better of getting an AGP card or a PCI card.

If you recommend the PCI card what is the difference between PCI and PCI-express. And will the PCI- express card be suitable given the age of my computer

Thanks in advance for any help.

rmcqua 14:04 07 Jul 2006

You will not be able to use a pci-express card in your PC. 4 year old motherboards did not incorporate pci-e and the interface is totally different to the normal PCI slots you have in your PC.
Go for an AGP 6600GT card - there is a good variety of them out there. This would probably be my choice:
click here

gudgulf 14:04 07 Jul 2006

Forget PCI....it is way too slow and there are only a few,very low power graphics cards available in PCI format.Certainly the 6600GT is NOT available in PCI form.

PCI Express is a completely different format allowing up to 16x the data transfer rate of standard PCI.It uses a special slot.......which your motherboard does not have.So forget that too.

You have an AGP slot,so it is the AGP card you need...depending on the motherboard you have you will get up to 8x the PCI transfer speed.

thicasabrick 14:11 07 Jul 2006

Thanks for your advice. AGP it is.

Stuartli 14:12 07 Jul 2006

If your motherboard will only take 4x, you won't find much difference to an 8x AGP card - it's not a linear measurement.

You may also have to enabled the faster AGP speed in the Bios and set the Aperture figure to 64MB (128MB at a pinch but, again, not likely to bring much difference).

thicasabrick 15:39 07 Jul 2006

Motherboard is MS-6341 ATX, AMD 761 chipset, if this is of any help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?