AGP x4 Graphics cards

abw 19:29 28 Nov 2006

I have an Evesham PC that I bought in November 2004 and which came with a PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200 64Mb graphics card.

When I logged a few days ago the screen image was distorted with lines running across the screen. I guessed it was a graphics problem and connected the monitor to the on-board graphics card. With this I managed to log in successfully.

My problem now is trying to find a decent graphics card that will work with my PC. The graphics card slot is an AGP (x4 compatible). I tried a Geforce 6200 AGP card (which I was told was x4 and x8 compatible) but the computer wouldn't recognise it. The monitor didn't respond at all.

I want something of the same standard as the existing card (which was great but I could do with more memory)or better. Grateful for any advice on what my best options are. Thanks

abw

SANTOS7 19:32 28 Nov 2006

click here
follow the prompts it will tell you exactly what cards are compat with your PC and reccomend upgrades ,they'll even sell ya one..

Totally-braindead 20:01 28 Nov 2006

Unless the 6200 was faulty it should have worked unless it wasn't installed properly.
Have you checked the 6200 card or had the card checked by someone to see if it is faulty?
I would not be too concerned about the 4x and 8x thing they are backwards compatible and the performance difference is not as great as you might think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone