AGP vs PCI-e

HappyTrucker 02:24 31 Mar 2007

My current setup is an AGP based unit, so I have no experience of PCI-e so in my search towards replacing my sytem I have seen a few reviews of 256MB PCI-e cards that seem to get reviews indicating that they knock spots off 512MB AGP cards.

So, for the uninformed (that would be me), is PCI-e THAT much more efficient / effective than AGP. So much so that a 256mb card would outperform a 512mb AGP?

bennyhillslovechild 03:32 31 Mar 2007

PCI-E is faster than AGP in terms of data bandwidth, and of course is the new standard. However you can still get some excellent AGP cards, such as the X1950pro or the x1900XT. It's not so much the memory of the card, it's the GPU which determines how fast/good it is. There isn't that much proof to show that a 512mb card is any faster than a 256mb - but it can hold a little more detail/texture without having to load it from harddrive - useful for games with huge levels. A high end AGP card be it 256 or 512 would still beat a low end PCI-E card hands down. They never really pushed the 8x speed of AGP to it's limits, let alone the 16x of PCI-E. However, as PCI-E is the new standard, these cards will just get better and better. And of course with DirectX 10 now on it's way, these cards will just get bigger and better....the new 8800 series from nvidia are by all accounts, monsters!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone