AGP compatability

neilb+ 16:03 26 Aug 2005

I fitted a new Graphics card in my system but didn't get the boost I was expecting. My mobo says it is AGP 2.0 and the G/Card is AGP 3.0 could this be a problem?

gudgulf 16:38 26 Aug 2005

All that means is that your motherboard is AGP4x (v2)whereas your graphics card supports AGP8x (v3).Your card is running at AGP4x now because that is what your mobo is capable of....it should make no difference at all to your graphics cards performance.

What card/mobo are we talking about?

gudgulf 16:39 26 Aug 2005

All that means is that your motherboard is AGP4x (v2)whereas your graphics card supports AGP8x (v3).Your card is running at AGP4x now because that is what your mobo is capable of....it should make no difference at all to your graphics cards performance.

What card/mobo are we talking about?

Stuartli 16:42 26 Aug 2005

The AGP 3.0 specification is apparently for 8x and 4x only. A card can be AGP 3.0 8x/4x compliant and not work in an AGP 2.0 4x/2x/1x motherboard.

However, it seems some AGP 3.0 8x/4x cards will work in some AGP 2.0 4x motherboards.

I've been using an 8x GeforceFX 5200 graphics card with a 4x AGP mobo for about two months; as the mobo is some four to five years old I presume it's AGP 2.0.

neilb+ 16:52 26 Aug 2005

Thanks for the responses. My Mobo is Msi Kt3 ultra and the g/card is gigabyte geforce 6600gt (gv-n66t128vp)

gudgulf 17:06 26 Aug 2005

Thanks to not having My Postings enabled it took me a while to find your original post on this click here

I found by testing no difference whatsoever between running my ATI x800xt at AGP8x and at AGP4x.

So when you say you are not getting the boost you were expecting how are you checking the performance of your new set-up? and what are you comparing it to?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I don't fully understand what your problem is.........I am sure it's not to do with your card running at AGP4x though.

dan11 17:08 26 Aug 2005

You have what is known as a universal advanced graphis slot.they should be no notches in the slot. These are capable of taking 1X, 2X, 4X and 8X Agp cards.

Unfortuatley the maximum speed of your motherboard AGP slot is just 4X. So that is the fastest it will run at.

Exactly as gudgulf has said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?