after xp repair

brigtoo 20:59 26 Nov 2010

after a number of windows dlls were wiped from my os , windows xp home. i tried to do a repair install, but this failed. my pc has two hdd , c held the os and all other stuff while drive e was empty but formatted. i decided to install xp onto e, which i did, but then had another try at the repair which succeeded. i formatted e to remove second xp. when i boot the pc it shows the following message during the startup.
microsoft windows xp home edition
microsoft windows xp home edition
microsoft windows recovery console
the top one is hdd e which cant load xp so i have to arrow down to the second os which is hdd c and press enter to load xp. ive reformatted e but its still showing to have a recycler and system volume information files on, which i cant delete as access denied to both.
how do i remove the choice of e hdd

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 26 Nov 2010

Start -Run - type msconfig - press OK

Boot.ini tab press check All boot paths.

this will rewrite the boot.ini file for just the one system you now have.

It should then be fine on the next reboot.

brigtoo 21:15 27 Nov 2010

did as you advised, "check all boot paths" produced two lines in boot ini file not refering to valid o.s. one to xp home, which i removed, the second to the recovery console. can i also remove this without causing any problem.
i thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 27 Nov 2010

Yes

Bob Exeter 20:18 28 Nov 2010

I followed the advice from Fruit Bat And my computer came up with the following: "It appears that the following line in the BOOT INI does not refer to valed operating system.
Signature[2916295] disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1].
Would you like to remove it Yes/No.

My XP pro disc is kosher and I can download up dates without trouble. Any Ideas?
Bob Exeter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache