After re-installing Windows XP, what next?

inkwash 19:20 10 Feb 2005

I have re-formatted my HD after spending many hours trying to repair Window XP to no avail.
I have installed Windows XP, but do not know what to do next. (1)Do I need to re-install the motherboard drivers? (2)How do I install all the other drivers, as they are not coming up on autorun?

powerless 19:23 10 Feb 2005

(1) mobo drivers are good. I would install them.

(2) Explore the contents of the CD.

GBL 20:16 10 Feb 2005

I had to reinstall my motherboard one to get the built in sound to work, I take it that you do not have all the driver disks for you set up. If I have any problems then I go into Add and Remove hardware, in the control panel and take it from there.
What other drivers are you wanting??

inkwash 20:48 10 Feb 2005

I have plenty of driver disks:
Soundblaster Live 1024 drivers
USB 2.0 drivers
Monitor drivers
Firewire drivers, and a few others.
I have tried inspecting the disks but they each contain many files with rather meaningless titles.
If they will not autorun, how do I install them?

harps1h 21:09 10 Feb 2005

what computer are you using now? if it is the one you reformatted i hope you have an anti virus on or you will be reformatting in less than 24 hrs

dan11 21:13 10 Feb 2005

Have a look in control panel > system > device manager. Make a list of any entry's that have a yellow exclamation mark against them. This will be hardware that has not had the correct drivers installed.

It will be a start.;-)

mrwoo 21:14 10 Feb 2005

you'll probably have to install drivers for motherboard chipset,sound,graphics and maybe modem. If it isnt obvious which CD's are for which driver, go to Device Manager & right click each device shown with an error,properties,driver tab, update driver & take the advanced option to browse CD's. It'll take a while if you're not sure what CD has got which driver on but will get there in the end.

harps1h 21:16 10 Feb 2005

step 1 put on the motherboard drivers as they keep the system stable and put on any other accessories that are essential.

step 2 take on card at a time and load on the drivers taking care to reboot after each one.

step 3 put on sp1 and sp2 as these are essential to plug holes in xp and ie6

step 4 before you connect to the internet make sure that you have an anti virus loaded and working as well as a firewall. these are ABSOLUTELY essential before you go near the net!

step 5 go to windows updates and download all available updates for protection.

step 6 search out mozilla firefox and download it as it is less prone to attacks.

if you have any further questions mail me personally or give an msn address and i can instant message you

inkwash 22:56 10 Feb 2005

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll have another try tomorrow when my brain has cleared a bit. Meanwhile, I'll just have to use my laptop for emails and the internet for the time being, as it refuses to recognise the Minolta Scan MultiPRO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?