after 0em xp home reinstall

mermaid25 21:37 21 Sep 2006

Windows was a bit sluggish and programs were 'not responding', dial up was dropping every couple of minutes and hubby was 'gonna chuck this piece of junk out the window!!' so asked a few people (not on here though as no connection)and general consenus was a reinstall.

I also decided broadband was needed so bought external hard drives to back up and wirelesss router for broadband.

whizz kid godson backed everything up then reinstalled windows (had to uninstall sp2 first) then it did not recognize activation key but got it done over the phone.

godson installed router and plugged into telewest modem and we have internet!!

windows now looks like new.....however
when I tried to install Avg again I got error message:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: starting service....
Service Avg7Alrt failed to progress during startup at checpoint 0 (wait hint 2000 ms) in 82282 ms.
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgfwafu.dll_WNT: removing file....
Access is denied. (5) %PATH% = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\avgfwafu.dll"

So I went looking in program files and
I came across All the files and folders and programs I thought would be deleted during reinstalling.

But they are not on the new desktop and in the all programs list. I can only find them if I go to local disk c: then program files.

any thoughts would be appreciated
:0)

Diodorus Siculus 21:43 21 Sep 2006

Can you do a system restore to before you put on AVG?

Then update windows and install Avast - it's jsut as good and from Avast.com

Diodorus Siculus 21:44 21 Sep 2006

AVG Free Forum :: Installation Issues :: Installation error
click here=

mermaid25 21:49 21 Sep 2006

thanks will look into that tomorrow hvae to let son go to bed now (PC in his room)

mermaid25 22:32 22 Sep 2006

Forums > Helproom

Search forum:

Start new subject | Reply to this subject | Contact Forum Editor
[1]

mermaid25
Thu, [email protected]:37

Windows was a bit sluggish and programs were 'not responding', dial up was dropping every couple of minutes and hubby was 'gonna chuck this piece of junk out the window!!' so asked a few people (not on here though as no connection)and general consenus was a reinstall.

I also decided broadband was needed so bought external hard drives to back up and wirelesss router for broadband.

whizz kid godson backed everything up then reinstalled windows (had to uninstall sp2 first) then it did not recognize activation key but got it done over the phone.

godson installed router and plugged into telewest modem and we have internet!!

windows now looks like new.....however
when I tried to install Avg again I got error message:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: starting service....
Service Avg7Alrt failed to progress during startup at checpoint 0 (wait hint 2000 ms) in 82282 ms.
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgfwafu.dll_WNT: removing file....
Access is denied. (5) %PATH% = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\avgfwafu.dll"

So I went looking in program files and
I came across All the files and folders and programs I thought would be deleted during reinstalling.

But they are not on the new desktop and in the all programs list. I can only find them if I go to local disk c: then program files.

any thoughts would be appreciated
:0)

Diodorus Siculus
Thu, [email protected]:43

Can you do a system restore to before you put on AVG?

'AVG Free Forum :: Installation Issues :: Installation error
click here= '

Had a look at this forum but it wasn't the same error and I have a feeling it's something to do with all files and folders still being on the pc after the reinstall..

I'm wondering if we did something wrong wnen we put the oem disc in. I thuoght to reinstall all you had to do was just put the disc in and it overwrites the stuff that was on there previously.

he's coming back tomorrow so any tips on this matter would be helpful.

mermaid25 22:33 22 Sep 2006

sorry don't know what happend there!
should read....

Had a look at this forum but it wasn't the same error and I have a feeling it's something to do with all files and folders still being on the pc after the reinstall..

I'm wondering if we did something wrong wnen we put the oem disc in. I thuoght to reinstall all you had to do was just put the disc in and it overwrites the stuff that was on there previously.

he's coming back tomorrow so any tips on this matter would be helpful.

mermaid25 21:37 27 Sep 2006

just tidying up threads and and this one is now resolved.
godson came back and reformattedso we had nothing on the pc at all,Then reinstalled windows and lo and behold no more probs trying to install AVG or anything else.

thanks guys for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?