Adware on start-up - how to remove?

twicetwit 10:51 14 Feb 2005

hello, i downloaded a program yesterday which contained trojands and adware, i've got rid of most of it but this one remains click here everytime i boot up this adware appears. how can i turn it off/get rid of it?

LeadingMNMs 11:13 14 Feb 2005

Go to the start menu and click 'run.' In box type "msconfig" and then navigate to the right most tab, labelled 'startup.' Have a look through the list of things that start at startup and see if you can find an entry that belongs to this program - the filepath should give it away. When you've found it just untick it, restart as prompted and on startup put a tick in the box to hide the message and click OK (or whatever button it is).

If you can't find it there then it could be in the startup folder in the Programs list.

twicetwit 11:26 14 Feb 2005

thanks LeadingMNMs, at least that's stopped it, but how can i remove it completely? just trace them to their locations as given in utility and delete them?

LeadingMNMs 11:35 14 Feb 2005

Thats probably the easiest way, although you could check that its not in Add / Remove Programs, although chances are that it'll try and stop you removing it.

You could also try something like Ad-aware to remove it, though it probably won't remove everything. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?