Adware- deleting registry

SPQR 13:14 29 Mar 2005

i have some adware called CtxPack6, CtxPlus, Edow and EdowPack. I delete them using adware spy, or mcafee or manually deleting them, but the keep reappearing. I have noticed that windows task manager shows them as running processes even after i delete them. Is there some way to delete their registry files, or find any hidden files which may be there?

pauldonovan 13:27 29 Mar 2005

...they're probably in your startup. They are probably checking when shut down to re-add themselves to the startup.

Use startup control panel from Mike Lin or winpatrol which will show you what's in your startup - winpatrol in particular will tell you if it is running and let you kill it I believe.

Anything you remove from startup you should also check to ensure it isn't running in the task manager and kill it if it is.

SPQR 13:41 29 Mar 2005

i have stopped the processes from starting in msconfig, but this hasnt worked

BlueMeanie 17:58 29 Mar 2005

Use Ad-Aware AND "Spybot Search and Destroy" to remove the malware, I have heard that a2 is also very good. Remember to update to the latest versions.

At work we used Microsofts "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" KB890930 which proved to be very effection, access via Start, All Programs, Windows Update.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 29 Mar 2005

they may also be hiding in the system restore files.

1. boot in safe mode

2. run msconfig look in the startup tab and untick (stop)the programs

3. switch off system restore (this will delete all restore points up to this time).

4. run your spyware progs and clean the system.

5. reboot in normal mode check spyware not returned

6. switch system restore back on

pauldonovan 19:13 29 Mar 2005

..at work we used MSConfig and someone had something that it didn't find in the startup but winpatrol displayed it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?