Advise on a gaming pc?

Incognito78 08:46 17 Feb 2009

Hello. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I would like a decent computer. I also do not have a huge budget. I sound a pc for $360, it's custom built. Could you tell me how it would be , by todays standards of gaming pcs?

AMD athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.0ghz dual core processor
2x2gb DDR2 1066mhz Ram by gskill
EVGA nvidia 9500gt 512mb video card with dual monitor support
80gb 7200rpm Sata 2 3.0gbs HD
LG DVD burner w silent run tech.
Gigabyte Mid tower black light gloss case
Antec tricool 120mm rear exhaust fan with 3 speed switch
ECS 8200a motherboard with HDMI
Antec smartpower power supply rated at 400w

If it helps at all, here is where I found it:

click here

This town is close by, which makes it easier, and makes me feel more scure in purchasing from such a site.

Also, I have 160 GB hdd , and a 19" hd monitor I could use with it. Feel free to throw out some suggestions, to possibly speed it up.

Thank you very much. =)

skidzy 09:39 17 Feb 2009

Personally i would install a 320-500GB harddrive with the 160GB holding the OS and programs.

Definitely change the psu to something branded and around 600watts.

Incognito78 09:51 17 Feb 2009

But for the money... it's ok? The garphics card is what I was most interested in, it's decent yes?

As for the psu , I was planning on that. I've actually got a 600 watt in my closet.

skidzy 10:03 17 Feb 2009

Im no Graphics expert,but i would say that card looks like a middle of the road card...and possibly needs upgrading if your a gamer.Others may have more ideas on that.

If indeed in dollars,looks ok.

Is there an Operating System installed ? this would need to to be taken into consideration.

Incognito78 10:06 17 Feb 2009

Yes, Windows XP SP3 . I do not care much for Vista, or windows period , too much. I will use it just for games. I will also install Linux on this pc, if I get it.

skidzy 10:16 17 Feb 2009

Then i would probably into Linux to a spare drive,maybe the 80GB.
Was this in Dollars ? if so would cost around £250 sterling which seems a little high if a used computer,if custom built to order...its ok.

If you decide to play high end games,i would first wait for another opinion on the graphics card.

skidzy 10:17 17 Feb 2009

Sorry typo;should read

Then i would probably install Linux to a spare drive,maybe the 80GB.

Incognito78 11:02 17 Feb 2009

I did plan on install to the other drive, and yes it is custom.

I just figured, at this price, and being a pc is so easy to upgrade, I should get it.

But (and sorry if I repeat mysef) , I am just worried I am not getting the best I could for the money. I am wondering if I could just get the parts myself, but it would most likely cost more.

Incognito78 11:02 17 Feb 2009

I did plan on install to the other drive, and yes it is custom.

I just figured, at this price, and being a pc is so easy to upgrade, I should get it.

But (and sorry if I repeat mysef) , I am just worried I am not getting the best I could for the money. I am wondering if I could just get the parts myself, but it would most likely cost more.

Incognito78 13:49 17 Feb 2009

Someone suggested I try this:

click here

click here

click here

Total $412 after rebates

Thoughts? =)

skidzy 14:07 17 Feb 2009

If you go down that route,you will basically be building a new system.And it will be better by a mile.

Im guessing you have a graphics card already and case/psu etc

If you go with the new motherboard etc.....you may be better buying a mobo bundle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017