advise on error message!!

dan12 18:26 21 Jan 2006

Hi
was emailing earlier with hotmail and was attaching a document and i recieved an error message, which i was to slow to think of getting a screenshot for you.
message read lexplore has caused an error if it happens again pc will close, message went! pc remained ok,i googled lexplore and it said it was a virus:-click here

I cant remember if error message was lexplore exe, or just lexplore.
My system is windows me, i run zone alarm, spybot, and adaware programs and all are active but recieved no warning, if there is a virus what is the easiest way to check firsly if infact there is a virus and secondly best method of removal.
I had a problem the other day regarding not being able to recieve the forum guide which tried twice to no avail see post:-
click here
the email was i was using was btinternet.com
Many thanks for any advise

Smiler 18:29 21 Jan 2006

So you don't run any virus checking software then?

VoG II 18:29 21 Jan 2006

download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

dan12 18:38 21 Jan 2006

Vog,
Many thanks for your promt response will get to grips with the advise soon and get back to you,
smiler i think wrongly so i assumed zone alarm would pick up on that, we all learn sometimes the hard way.
thanks again

dan12 18:46 21 Jan 2006

Hi Vog ,
your link, Ewido Anti-Malware trial version not sure if suitable for windows me, says w/2000 or xp, in fact just tried d\ load and system has to be w\2000 or xp, so my windows me must be w\98
thanks

dan12 14:21 22 Jan 2006

Hi,
On not being able to use Ewido Anti-Malware trial version due to my system being windows me, have d/load avast4.6.
did a full scan it picked up the above and also
win32a.click here
I also d\loaded click here

Are there better options out there? or have i got adequate protection in place as far as one can be.
Thanks to all

VoG II 14:27 22 Jan 2006

You should remove True Sword - see click here

Install Ad-aware click here Spybot click here and a² click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 22 Jan 2006

Windows ME Protection recommendation

Firewall ZoneAlarm click here

Antivirus
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus
click here

Antispyware
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

dan12 14:37 22 Jan 2006

Vog,
many thanks for that information learning the hard way as begginers do but with people like yourself and others feel more at ease with dealing with these problems.
i am running spybot but will look at other suggestion now.
thanks once more vog

dan12 14:42 22 Jan 2006

Hi fruit bat,
Thanks for links, but as my fist post have got spybot, adaware and zone alarm in place,
thats why a bit supprised didnt give me warning.

dan12 15:45 22 Jan 2006

vog
Have now removed true sword and installed
a-squared have the basic freeware is that adequate or should i upgrade to the full version?
my spybot was already in place as was adaware and zone alarm.

spybot the last few times i have used it i always get a screen that says congratulations and nothing picked up!

Now protection in place so hopefully shouldn't get anymore problems,he says with a smile!!!
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?