advice on wpa 2 security please

sunny staines 22:32 18 Aug 2006

Just set up my first wi fi, with a linsky 354g router, set up WPA security which is working OK.

But seen mention of WPA 2 Security. on searching google sites I have found they have lost me in tech jargon.

Do I need this for a home set up? using XP PRO.
and what are the benifits if any over WPA?

igk 00:07 19 Aug 2006

Its only my personal opinion but I find that "mac address" filtering that only allows permitted mac addresses of network cards/adaptors to access the network is just as secure and tends not to slow down connections due to encrypting/decrypting all the info...

sunny staines 11:27 19 Aug 2006

is it easy to set up.

Strawballs 12:25 19 Aug 2006

click here This seems to be quite straight forward

igk 12:56 19 Aug 2006

"is it easy to set up"
Yes just go to your security settings in your router and see if its an option first,then if it is you need to know what Mac address your network cards/adaptors are (on Belkin wireless adaptors,the pen drive type it is written on them)these will be pairs of letters and numbers seperated by semi colons (:) they can be found by doing this: on each pc "Start" "Run" and type in: "ipconfig /all" and enter (no quotes but leave a space after ipconfig)look down the list and write down the mac address.
Then go back to your router security and enter these addresses (exactly)then there should be an option to allow these only to access your router/network..
HTH...

igk 13:05 19 Aug 2006

As an addition to above, the mac addresses are in pairs of 6.
Also in your router control panel there should be a setting to "broadcast" your network name make sure that you disable this so that anyone in your location (next door/down the road etc) cannot see it,(I have seven!! networks advertising themselves in my neighbourhood)

ade.h 13:48 19 Aug 2006

MAC filtering can quite easily be spoofed. I have tested mine by doing that.

Yes, WPA2 is advantageous. Technical rundown: click here

ade.h 13:50 19 Aug 2006

Forgot to add: Windows XP has supported WPA2 since May 2005, and all wireless network devices released to market since March of this year have required WPA2 to receive ratification from the Wifi Alliance. The standard itself was orginally ratified in June 2004.

sunny staines 21:47 19 Aug 2006

thanks for the above help.

sunny staines 21:48 19 Aug 2006

i think i may already be wpa2 as i entered ipconfig numbers on installing wpa.

igk 12:33 21 Aug 2006

"MAC filtering can quite easily be spoofed. I have tested mine by doing that."
Pray explain,have I been misinforming my students in computer science for all this time???
I'm looking forward to a reply please..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?