Advice on Wireless ADSL Router

bear73 21:47 21 Jul 2008

Hi

Have had a nightmare today with my Speedtouch 585 ADSL Router. To be honest has been a bit on and off for the last year, always losing connection and needing to be rebooted but today it totally crashed my pc.

Came home to find a message saying my pc had recovered from a serious error. When I tried to connect to the internet the pc went black and rebooted itself. I worked out that if I unplugged the adapter from the USB port I could log onto the pc fine, as soon as I put the adapter in the USB it crashed and rebooted. We have tried unistalling and reinstalling the software and the same keeps happening.

I have now logged on using the standard non-wireless modem that came with the Tiscali package.

What I am really after is advice on getting a new ADSL Wireless Router. We have a desktop pc upstairs and one downstairs and need to link the two using wireless adapters.

Any advice on a good quality ADSL Wireless Router? We have 8MB Tiscali broadband but usually only get speeds of 4.8Mbps - 5Mbps. To be honest this Speedtouch one has been nothing but trouble and I don't mind paying for a decent one this time round.

Many thanks

Strawballs 22:33 21 Jul 2008
  bear73 08:57 22 Jul 2008

Thanks for the link. I take it if I got this I would have to purchas ea couple of little wireless adapters too?

We had two with the speedtouch that plugged into the USB's. One upstairs and one downstairs.
Thanks

ambra4 10:28 22 Jul 2008

"I take it if I got this I would have to purchas ea couple of little wireless adapters too?"

No

The ones that you got with the speedtouch should work

bear73 18:43 22 Jul 2008

It's actually when I plug the Apeedtouch USB Adapters in that they crash the computer.

I won't be using them with any new router I get.

Strawballs 22:12 22 Jul 2008

Try getting new adapters first to see if that works before getting new router.

click here

bear73 22:06 26 Jul 2008

The whole thing seems to have gone to pot, neither the router or the adapter seems to work. Just crashes the pc constantly.

We have decided to get a new more reliable router and a couple of wireless USB adapters.

I have done a bit of research and looked at your link above and I like the look of the Linksys one. Read a few reviews and they were all favourable.

I am still struggling with wireless usb adapters though. They vary hugely in price and the reviews are wildly different, depending where you look.

I saw great reviews for the Belkin G Wireless USB adapter on one site but was totally slated on Amazon. On amazon the Edimax got great reviews.

I am totally confused. Does anyone have some good advice re: choosing wireless USB adapters? They are for use with desktop pcs (one upstairs, one downstairs) and are on for most of the day (I have heard stories about some overheating). Terrible stories about awful software and drivers too. I am a bit of a novice so don't want anything too complex.

Thanks

ambra4 12:00 30 Jul 2008

Take a look at this one

Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with RangeBooster

click here

bear73 17:17 30 Jul 2008

Thanks.

Yesterday I actually plumped for a Netgear router and adapters. I read loads of info online and it seemed most things had mixed reviews but Netgear seemed to top most of the reviews.

It actually arrived today and my husband will set it all up tonight. Lets hope it all works and we are back to being wireless again.

Thanks for everyones help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?