Advice on which PC to buy

robdob 21:59 10 Dec 2010

Hi. I'm looking to buy a new pc as my current one is a number of years old now and it's really starting to show haha. I'm a student so can't afford much and so I have been trailing websites such as ebay and gum tree. I've found a number of pcs and have posted the links below, it'd be great if someone could offer their advice on which is the greatest value for money etc. I want it to be able to run modern games such as Heroes of Newerth, Call of Duty Black Ops etc. I don't know a great deal about computers, just the basics so any advice would be greatly recieved. Thanks :)

Here they are:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

Ex plorer 11:01 11 Dec 2010

I would take a look click here I have had two Desktops from them and they have been fine.
I did have a problem with a monitor that was replaced the next day.
I see one of your choices has XP there is nothing wrong with it but why not keep up to date and go for Win7.

Ex plorer 11:13 11 Dec 2010

I would look for a PC with some kind of guarantee of at least 12 months.
PC are expensive to post if they go wrong.

Ex plorer 11:14 11 Dec 2010

Should read, PC are expensive to repair if they go wrong.

Marko797 11:29 11 Dec 2010

You have to be joking - high risk going that way.

Marko797 11:30 11 Dec 2010

best to stick to reputable suppliers

chub_tor 21:20 11 Dec 2010

If you click on your link and check for gaming machines base units, which is what robdob is looking for you will see that the cheapest offering is £379 and the next one up is £489. Those prices are considerably more than any of the machines that he listed from gumtree and ebay

I am not a gamer but looking at the specs you supplied my choice of machine would either of your second and third links. I would rule out the first one which has on board graphics and the last three because I am not a fan of ebay.

AL47 16:31 12 Dec 2010

Tbh I think they are all pretty poor, especially for games

robdob 21:27 12 Dec 2010

Thanks for all your help guys, am going to go for the Dell Dimension Xps 720. I know it's not the best in the world for gaming, but it's all I can afford for now :) Cheers

Ex plorer 10:09 14 Dec 2010

chub_tor Prices fall between £275 and £399 and that's within the boundaries of prices of of what he could afford.

I admit I did show a package deal to include a screen.

There are selection radio buttons to choose as to what you want in the way of a PCs and base units.
Base unit start at £199 to £399. click here One gaming unit falls within price bracket click here
robdob I am not sure if they will run the games you have but you can check the spec.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?