advice on what wireless modem to purchase

moosep85 19:50 11 Jan 2006

Hi, i'm looking at going wireless with my laptop. Could someone please give me some recommendations of what wireless adsl modem router to purchase, i don't want to end up with something that is not perhaps compatible, also i would like to know whether i neeed a network card or not. My laptop which is a clevo 5620d, already has a wirelees link or so i believe so, in control panel, it says wireless link, so i assume that is it. So do i or do i not need a network card, i'm a bit unclear and basically would like some guidance. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Moosep85

mgmcc 21:17 11 Jan 2006

Normally the initial configuration of a wireless router requires a "wired" ethernet connection. This is due to the "chicken & egg" situation - you cannot configure it because you cannot connect wirelessly and you cannot connect wirelessly because it isn't configured; hence the need to use a "wired" connection to set it up.

As to suitable models, as long as you aren't using AOL, a combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem" from one of the mainstream suppliers such as Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc should be fine. Netgear's DG834G is probably one of the more popular models and I believe that it, unusually, can actually be set up without having to use a "wired" connection first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?